1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas Monthly on the death of sportswriting

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, May 12, 2009.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Also, let's see Blackie Sherrod work his magic in 12 inches or whatever the hell we're being allotted these days.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I never got the whole Blackie Sherrod thing when I was younger.
    If that Harvard band sentence is supposedly an example of what made him special, I still don't get it.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

This one?

http://sportswritingediting.blogspot.com/2005/09/death-of-sportswriting_22.html?loc=interstitialskip

FWIW, Deadspin has a link to all the recent "sportswriting is dead" articles, including one from the Utne Reader ... http://deadspin.com/5249629/sportswriting-declared-dead-again

4. dargan

dargan Active Member

That's really what I was trying to say in that rambling paragraph I posted. Good work, SG.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Now THAT is good irony.

6. What a clown.

You don't have to read 20 lines into that piece of mindless fecal matter that Cartwright was close friends with all the old-school cronies that he worships throughout that entire column. It's obvious he was friends with Sherrod, Shrake and the like, and since his buddies aren't around anymore, he feels the need to piss and moan that things just aren't the way they used to be.

Criticizing columnists by name is Bush-league and is definitely something the almighty Blackie Sherrod would have never done, I would think. He calls today's columnists hacks and homers, yet he calls Cowlishaw the state's best? That's laughable. Cowlishaw sucks the tit of everything University of Texas (his alma mater) and the Texas Rangers, among others. Cowlishaw's not even in the top three in the Metroplex.

Carwright argues that guys like Golden just "don't have fun anymore" when he's probably actually paid attention to two things Golden has written and has ignored everything else. If he actually knew Golden, he'd know he's one of the friendliest guys around and is extremely respected by colleagues and competition. Plus, Golden's a hell of a writer and one of the more creative ones around, especially in Texas.

It looks like Cartwright spent about 30 minutes on that load of crap. He tries to paid homage to all his homeboys, but I'd be willing to bet all of them would shake their head at how weak it is.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I was wondering how long it would take Cedric to chime in ;)

I kid, I kid. I agree with most everything in this post.

8. He was the best Die Hard villain in my opinion.

9. dargan

dargan Active Member

Excellent, pbr.

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I'm truly baffled by how he would think including the thing about Les Flying Punzars would make people go "Wow, those really must have been magical times back then."

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

I don't have a problem critiquing specific high-profile writers, who have the forum to do lots of critiquing of their own. Guys like Bohls are who they are. But holding up overwritten cornpone as some sort of 21st-century standard? That's just silly and pointless.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'm sorry. It's my fault. Some friends and I were on his lawn.

Draft saved Draft deleted