1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas idiot judge: Don't swat your kids on the behind!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Jun 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Run away and a personal dig. That's about what I expected.

My guess is the rest of the world doesn't see your "angels" as nearly as well-behaved as you think, or at least didn't when they were really small.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

You know what, OOP, I should fucking beat you for saying that about my kids. Good thing I don't believe in it. :)

Although I do wonder what you're so defensive about, and how you view children, that you would start talking shit about kids you don't even know.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Thanks. I was curious what you did instead of time out and spanking.

You are right about being proactive and smart as a parent helps keep the need to discipline down. You don't tell a two year old, for example, that they are getting ice cream after dinner before they actually eat dinner, because dinner will be a battle. All the kid will want is ice cream.

I do find it interesting that you keep calling it hitting while we keep calling it spanking.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If I had a kid who didn't listen to me, I'd hit him.

5. outofplace

And here I thought you were done with this conversation. Guess not. :)

I'm not defensive at all. Just disgusted by arrogant, know-it-all parents who aren't even bright enough to realize that what they think works for that child isn't going to work for every other child.

The truth is I don't spank my child. I believe she is well past the age that it would be effective even if I did choose that method of discipline, anyway.

The really funny part is I knew you were going to take offense to my last comment, even though you were more than happy to slam every parent out there who disagrees with you about spanking.

I'm not talking about your kids. I'm talking about your delusions about parenting.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Shit, now I know what it's like to be sucked into one of OOP's Steelersjacks. And I am ashamed.

7. outofplace

If you only understood all of the reasons you should be ashamed, we'd be making some progress. :)

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Father of three -- ranging from 17 (girl) to 14 (boy) to 9 (girl) -- here. Spanked the oldest some, the middle a bit, and the little one none. Wish I hadn't spanked at all, now. It took way more out of me than it ever put in them. It might not have been lazy parenting, but I'm convinced that it was bad parenting.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

While I was pretty harsh with "lazy parenting," and I won't back down from being fervently anti-spanking, I will say that all of us as parents make a lot of mistakes, even as we're trying to do the best we can, or maybe because we're trying to do the best we can. Sometimes we have to forgive ourselves -- and maybe even ask the child to forgive us. To me, one of the hardest parts about parenting is that you don't know whether you've done OK until your kids are grown, and it's way too late to do anything about it.

10. outofplace

Why? The "took more out of me" part sounds more like you feel bad about it, but I assume you have other reasons for changing your mind about it. Hell, I'd be concerned about any parent who has ever spanked a child and didn't feel bad about it.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I changed my mind about it because I became convinced my children would be absolutely the way they are now -- for good or ill -- independent of my choice to using spanking (at times) in discipline. My kids are fine kids -- and I'll kick the shit out of anyone who suggests otherwise! :) -- but they're not fine kids because they were spanked. So to this day I regret resorting to spanking when other methods -- requiring of me more in the way of patience and maturity but every bit as effective -- were at my disposal.

12. outofplace

See, that last bit suggests to me that you were spanking for the wrong reasons. I hate to say it, but it sounds like you lost your temper. Maybe I am reading you wrong there.

Spanking should NEVER be done as part of an emotional reaction. It has to be a decision, just as taking away a toy or raising your voice would be a decision. Only you can really know if that is how you employed that particular disciplinary tool. In this case, it really is all about intent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.