1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas idiot judge: Don't swat your kids on the behind!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Jun 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Let me think about it...

...yup, still lazy parenting. And please, if you'd like, cite research showing that spanking in the aggregate has positive long-term results, and not, "I know my dad loved me because he kicked my ass." And for someone to beat a 2-year-old until they're red-assed -- I can't see any plausible way to defend that.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Did you use time out?

What if they tried to leave time out?

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

100% agree, just put the onus on the child that they are being punished because they made the"choice" to continue the unacceptable behavior

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Never did time out.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Let me think about this...yup, lazy, ignorant posting.

You're just another arrogant parent who assumes what he thinks works for him will work for every child.

Your last comment was the proof. You aren't even bothering to try to understand the argument of anybody who disagrees with you. Using a spank as a disciplinary measure does not mean the same thing as "beating a 2-year-old until they're red-assed."

But the "heaven forbid anybody spank a child crew" like yourself are either incapable of comprehending the difference or too pig-leaded to try.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Or he's someone who knows that the research points, on the whole, to spanking being an unreliable way of doling out punishment. But I'm sure we'll get plenty more people to come on and give anecdotes as proof. As a wise poster once wrote, anecdotes are not the plural of data.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

No, I'm capable of understanding the difference. I was raised in home of spankers, and I knew plenty of other kids who were. But that's not the main reason I feel as I do. I just don't see any reason to hit a child. None. There is nothing kids do -- especially younger ones -- that can be solved by hitting them. Again, that's trying to get control, not discipline. To me, hitting a child represents failure as an adult. The kid often doesn't know better. The adult should.

If that makes me pig-headed, I'm proudly pig-headed. As I've mentioning, I have no trouble with discipline. But spanking and hitting your kid isn't discipline. It's a lack of discipline -- on the part of the adult.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

It's a case-by-case situation. Let's not get too worked up on this one.
    Those that have tried spanking and other measures beyond mere "words" will likely continue to use those tactics and the kids will, for the most part, not be mentally or physically scarred as they matriculate through adolescence toward adulthood.
    I think that's how this is going to play out.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So, Bob, what did you do? Take things away or just tell them something was wrong?

10. outofplace

Pig-headed and ignorant. You claim to understand the difference between discipline and hitting to hurt a child, then you continue to demonstrate that you don't get it.

Anybody who thinks they know one way that works for all parents really doesn't know a damn thing.

11. outofplace

See, that's my point. All parenting is a case-by-case basis, but some people (Bob) are too ignorant and arrogant to understand that.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

OOP, I'd rather get bathroom-fucked by Ben Roethlisberger than continue this argument. I suspect you would do, though you might have more of a smile on your face.

93Devil, I don't have a grand philosophy of parenting, other than perhaps to know your own children, anticipate problems before they happen, and make clear to your kids that there's a world outside of yourself, and serving others is its own reward. Yeah, I guess many times we pulled the child aside or took something away or did something to make clear we were upset, but I honestly couldn't give you a blow-by-blow, no pun intended, of what we've done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.