1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas hypocrites spend $31 mil in tax money on SB while trying to cut teachers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

There's a lot of great scholarship on how a new stadium impacts the community. Start here ...

http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Jobs-Taxes-Economic-Stadiums/dp/0815761112

I ordered several of these books when a developer was trying to convince the city leaders to build a $30 million minor league stadium. He hired a consulting firm that basically said the stadium would cure all the city's ills economically. They put on a great pitch, but once we started doing research it was easy to shoot holes in their claims.

Basically, studies have shown the economic impact is minimal compared to the investment. Stadiums can help spur development or redevelopment in the surrounding neighborhoods, but so can parks, zoos and other amenities.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is basically what my opinion is as well, after reading all the stuff done by Zimbalist and (I believe) Maury Brown, the baseball economics guy. Yes, spending on a sports facility will bring in revenue, but more often you can get more bang for your $350 million by using it to just make downtown nicer, and to give incentives to restaurants, zoos, museums, etc. Spending it in one lump sum on a sports team, especially a winning or beloved one, is an easier way to get political popularity though.

Draft saved Draft deleted