1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas hypocrites spend $31 mil in tax money on SB while trying to cut teachers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 9, 2011.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That's what Sally Jenkins writes about today in The Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/07/AR2011020705610.html

I don't care much about the $19 margaritas and $900 parking that she cites as signs of NFL debauchery. The market gets what the market can bear. It allows me to watch it on TV with my friends, as I prefer anyway.

But the use of tax money to subsidize the NFL and other pro sports is obscene. Of course, I guess I don't hate it that much since I keep supporting the leagues.

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

Re: Texas hypocrites spend $31 mil in tax money on SB while trying to cut teache

yeah, because nowhere else but texas does this. ::)

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Which doesn't make it OK.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I can only imagine the fun Molly Ivins would've had with this.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The argument is that you spend $31 million and generate much more than that in revenue from tourists, etc.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Parking is only worth what someone will pay for it and if someone is dumb enough to pay $900 then congratulations to the person who was insightful enough to sell it to them for that much.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Texas has made its priorities abundantly clear re: education.

Hopefully the other states are smart enough not to follow suit.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Fly Navy jets over a domed stadium...

I guess that was for the benefit of the sheeple who paid $200 to sit in the parking lot to watch the game.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a breakdown of that $31 million, and where it went. My guess is that it was for a lot of security.

But at the same time, yeah, she has a lot of points. The Navy fighter jet thing is absolutely true. They can do a lot of cheaper things for their $450K in their recruiting budget than a two-second flight over a domed stadium. And why Texas decided to finance a quarter of Jerry's stadium, when it ended up costing double is beyond me. They should have set a fixed amount, and have Jerry cover the overruns.

Similar to the new Yankee Stadium. It was supposed to cost something like $800 million. Instead, it ended up costing $1.3 billion, and the taxpayers got on the hook for that. Just because the Steinbrenners wanted a bigger video board doesn't mean the taxpayers should have had to pay it.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

New state slogan:

Texas -- What? You can't afford private school?

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

No one should be surprised. This is a long line Texas is in.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

How much tax money did the SB bring in? It's only fair to condemn the money spent if it wasn't a good investment.

Draft saved Draft deleted