1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas high school state championships pick 'em

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Thirsty And Vacant, Dec 19, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.texashsfootball.com/scores/2009/wk15playoffs.htm

16 weeks

Jesus

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Anybody notice where the No. 1 team in the country in USA Today, Rivals and MaxPreps rankings is from?

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I dunno, Germany?

4. Sam Waller

Sam Waller New Member

As a native of Albany, Texas, it is with a heavy heart and much regret that I must now consider Farmerjerome as Dead To Me.

The following will explain why: http://blogs.scripps.com/abil/sam_waller/archives/2009/12/a-long-time-coming-a-waller-finally-makes-it-to-state.html

What's really sad is I couldn't go because I was too busy covering Abilene High's first championship in 53 years. We only had seven teams reach the finals (12 total played over two weekends), which kept our staff of four writers just a bit busy.

Oddly, the only two to win championships were Abilene and Goldthwaite. Both schools have Eagles as their mascot, both wear black and gold, both finished 15-0 and both beat two-time defending state champs in the finals.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Actually 17 weeks, because Texas teams get 11 weeks to play 10 regular games.

Throw in two-a-days and (usually) two preseason scrimmages, and you're going from the first Monday in August to almost Christmas. You get six weeks to squeeze in a vacation between the end of baseball and the start of football, and that doesn't count summer 7-on-7.

Draft saved Draft deleted