1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas High School QB Collapses, Dies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EagleMorph, Sep 18, 2010.

1. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

West Orange-Stark High quarterback Reggie Garrett collapsed on a sideline in the second quarter in a game and later died at a local hospital. He collapsed shortly after throwing a touchdown pass and bystanders said it looked like he was suffering from a seizure, which he apparently has suffered from before. Garrett was a senior and had a scholarship offer from Iowa State.
    http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/high-school/WO-S_quarterback_taken_off_of_field_by_stretcher.html

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That sucks.

Same thing happened in Chickasha, Okla. Big lineman collapsed after wind sprints on Tuesday and died on Friday.

http://newsok.com/article/3495821

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Thankfully the paper allowed comments on that story. Perfect story for the reasonable, incisive comments typical of newspaper websites.

There was another kid who collapsed but was saved by a nurse who came down from the stands. They were interviewed on the Today show a week or two ago.

4. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

The coroner is waiting for an autopsy to determine the cause of death. If it is sudden cardiac death form a heart rhythm disturbance, then realistically, the only treatment is defibrillation (shocking the heart from ventricular tachycardia or fibrillation into a normal rhythm). It's one of the reasons that AEDs should be available in all areas where people congregate, including sporting events.

In younger athletes, screening for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy may help identify those who are at risk ofr sudden death from that cause. Unfortunately, too many parents and care providers cut corners and don't have a full physical examination done.

There is great debate about whether an EKG and echocardiogram (heart ultrasound) should be done as routine. While Italy mandates both tests, they are optional in the US and recent studies suggest that the young athlete death rate is the same in both countries.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I took a look at those comments, wowsers, people really are assholes.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I consider myself a Christian, but to celebrate this young man's death as some kind of victory for Jesus is way beyond tacky.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

This is the part that I find unbelievable:

...."the teams continued to play until the final seconds ticked off the clock."

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

My infant just had an echocardiogram last week after his pediatrician detected a murmur. Fortunately everything was fine... but it occurred to me that it is such a simple, non-invasive, non-radiation test... why doesn't everyone have one??

9. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

They require the skill of an echocardiographer to get good pictures, a cardiologist to interpret them appropriately and the test itself takes a fair amount of time to complete. These are a trio of reasons that an echocardiogram does make for a good screening test. We won't even talk about the cost.

10. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Because not everyone has a pediatrician or regular checkups with their doctor. Mostly because not everyone has adequate health insurance.

So there's no detection of a murmur and there's no test scheduled. All because they can't afford it.

11. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Nothing was confirmed until late. Garrett was taken to the hospital at 8:30 p.m. (which was second quarter) and pronounced dead an hour later. At least, that's my understanding.

12. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Having an AED on hand shouldn't have been a problem, all schools in Texas, per UIL rule (IIRC), are supposed to have one on hand for all athletic events. I know all the schools around here do, even the 1A and 2A's West Orange Stark is a 3A, so there should have been one on hand

Draft saved Draft deleted