1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas high school pick 'ems, part two (NEW PICKS)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

dammit, i finally missed one. well, let's go allen and stratford!

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

quick, what trivia question will celina-carthage be the answer to?

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

What was the 100th playoff game in Celina history? ;D

(Actually I already listed the real answer in my picks.)

4. txsportsscribe

wouldn't it be the last playoff game of any kind, not just high school? it's not like the cowboys are likely to host the nfc championship against the no. 6 seed.

5. Football_Bat

It would be a first (a 5 vs. 6 NFC final), but crazier things have happened in the NFL.

6. Football_Bat

All but one final in:

5A Division I: Allen vs. FB Hightower, 7 p.m. tonight (FSNSW)

5A Division II: Katy 17, Wylie 3

4A Division I: Lake Travis 48, Longview 23

4A Division II: Sulphur Springs 69, Dayton 49

3A Division II: Carthage 49, Celina 37

2A Division II: Daingerfield 26, Cisco 8

1A Division II: Stratford 24, Cayuga 13

7. Sam Waller

Sam Waller New Member

Just got back from covering the Cisco-Daingerfield game in Waco. It was my 30th football game of the season.

Along the way, I sat in the pressboxes of 14 stadiums ranging in capacity from 18,500 to 1,500. Among the schools involved were the state's largest high school (enrollment of 5,852) and a pair of Six-Man Division II schools with a combined enrollment of 104.

There was a winless Division III college team and a Division II college team that reached the national quarterfinals and produced the Harlon Hill Trophy winner. Then there was the team that had never won a playoff game in its 66-year history that knocked off the No. 3 team in the state in the first round.

I witnessed a 93-68 scorefest that lasted four hours and an 81-3 beatdown that was 60-0 at halftime. In all, there were five games where a team scored more than 60 points. Oddly, none of those were six-man games. My highest scoring six-man game saw a total of 62 points.

I saw two high school seniors already committed to DI colleges suffer season-ending knee injuries in the same game. I saw several others who will never suit up after this fall gut it out with injuries that would have left me curled up in the fetal position crying for mommy.

It all started off with four games in three days at the local kickoff classic. Three other times I hit three games in a weekend and pulled two in the same day on three occasions.

All in all, it's been a helluva run.

8. Football_Bat

Allen rallied and won 21-14. Heck of a goal-line stand before halftime. We were cussing the Hightower coach for not kicking the field goal.

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Pretty impressive performance by Lake Travis' Garrett Gilbert. Threw for 356 yards and broke Graham Harrell's career passing record by two yards. And he was humble about it in the chaos of on-field interviews after the game.

10. txsportsscribe

the greatest part of wylie making it to the title game is the disappointment for all those asshole ahmo fans at losing in the final.

Draft saved Draft deleted