1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas high school pick 'ems, part two (NEW PICKS)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

(Note: Sites and times updated.)
    _____

The first round of UIL state championship games are set for next weekend. No 4A and 5A finals this week because both divisions in each class went to 64-team brackets this year. Their semifinals are this week and their finals will be next week. These are the five 32-team brackets that will wrap up this week.

Class 3A Division I
    Prosper (13-1) vs. Waco La Vega (12-2),
    4 p.m. Saturday at Texas Stadium: Prosper is one of those outlying Dallas outposts — like Plano and Frisco before — that will be the next town to go 4A and eventually 5A. This is Prosper's first state final since they won Class A in baseball in 1984. La Vega (also known as MODOC for some reason — maybe A_QB can enlighten us) reached the state quarterfinals last year, losing by a field goal to district rival and eventual state runner-up China Spring.

Class 2A Division I
    Muleshoe (14-0) vs. Kirbyville (13-0),
    6 p.m. Saturday at Grand Prairie: What more can you ask for: Two undefeated teams from far opposite ends of the state. Muleshoe, from far West Texas, used a fumble and an interception to pull away from Pilot Point in the second half on Saturday, 35-10. Kirbyville, from Deep East Texas, outscored Altair Rice, 61-42, in a shootout Friday night.

Class A Division I
    Canadian (12-1) vs. Mart (12-2),
    2 p.m. Saturday at Wichita Falls: Both schools used to be 2A powers, but dropped to 1A this year. Canadian won state last year as a 2A with essentially 1A numbers — enrollment numbers are submitted in October and realignment occurs in February. Mart is better known as home of the Cosbys — Quan and Quincy, that is. They won state in 1999 and lost to God's Team in an epic 2000 final at Texas Stadium.

Six-man Division I
    Follett (11-2) vs. Strawn (13-1),
    7 p.m. Saturday at Lubbock: Follett is proud owner of the last Texas eight-man title ever awarded in 1975 — the UIL did away with eight-man afterward. Strawn hung 102 on Abbott this weekend — remember when triple-digit scores were unheard-of? Liberals ruined it. :)

Six-man Division II
    Borden County (13-0) vs. Woodson (10-4),
    3 p.m. Saturday at Wolfforth Frenship: Borden County is the epicenter of six-man football — its county line sign is a prominent part of http://sixmanfootball.com . Woodson was state runner-up to Motley County a year ago and took a step back to 6-4 in the regular season, but that postseason experience is showing. They scored 101 against Walnut Springs.

As LBJ used to say, vote early and vote often.

2. Re: An SportsJournalists.com tradition: Texas high school two-step (pick 'ems, part one)

Once upon a time, I adopted a HS called Raft River in Idaho because it seemed like a great place to live. In that spirit, let me say that there is no way I am not supporting with all my heart a HS called "Muleshoe."

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Re: An SportsJournalists.com tradition: Texas high school two-step (pick 'ems, part one)

Fenian, if you remember the TV show "Matt Houston," the eponymous star, Lee Horsely, hails from Muleshoe. And you only get one guess as to what the mascot is.

All that aside, I have Prosper, Muleshoe, Canadian, Strawn and Borden County, mostly because I worked for papers that covered three of those five at one time or another. Strawn's logo looked at one time suspiciously like Superman's S; can't pick against that.

4. Football_Bat

Re: An SportsJournalists.com tradition: Texas high school two-step (pick 'ems, part one)

I thought you were going to say "Canadian."

Somehow I don't think Bubbler's choosing Mart.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Does Canadian play on a 110-yard field? And with 12 players and only three downs?

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

There is a giant feedlot on the outskirts of Muleshoe. You can smell the town coming long before you see it.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm taking Prosper, since they went with the ballsy move in double overtime yesterday -- going for two down 38-37.

Muleshoe, by a nose.

Canadian in a rout.

Strawn in a rout. Follett would've lost Friday, if the best Six-Man player in the state didn't tear his ACL in the first quarter with his team leading 14-0.

Borden County, only because it is the only team in one of our districts still alive.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'd really like to see all of SportsJournalists.com adopt the 'Shoe.

Go Mules!

9. Re: An SportsJournalists.com tradition: Texas high school two-step (pick 'ems, part one)

Yeah, the 'Shoe rocks.

I'll take them over Kirbyville in a squeaker.

I'm also picking LaVega over Prosper. Yes, 'Bat, the growth in Prosper is something else. It's amazing that people are still willing to commute to Dallas for work from there (but I'm kinda stingy on my gas).

Another thing about Prosper - home to Deion Sanders, who once housed West Virginia running back Noel Devine. Devine briefly attended Prosper High School before hightailing it back to FLA.

Others..

Mart over Canadian.

Strawn over Follett

And Borden County over Woodson.

10. Football_Bat

I'll make my picks now.

Prosper — Their QB (who scored the 2-point conversion) is a stud. I think Deion's son is still in junior high. A bunch of current and former jocks live there now: Randy White, Bill Bates, Torii Hunter, LaTroy Hawkins, Reggie Sanders (I think). Plus some of Deion's rich buddies like Steve Harvey.

Muleshoe — Unbelievable offense.

Mart — in a squeaker. Teams that win state and then drop to a lower level aren't automatic title repeaters in this state. I think Tatum was the first ever to do it in 2006.

Strawn — Changing my vote based on late-arriving information from out Odessa way.

Borden County — Holding a state semifinalist team to 6 points in a six-man football game is pretty impressive. I think it trumps breaking the scoreboard.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Blanco High had the best season of any small-school team in Texas.
    Bar none.
    Those boys can play some ball. They play again this weekend.

Carry on.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

well blanco only won because no one in texas knows how to pronounce refugio.

Draft saved Draft deleted