1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas high school hockey championship ends in brawl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

With one of the most vicious cheap shots I've seen in a while and parents cheering the fights.

http://www.wfaa.com/sports/Hockey-state-championship-game-ends-in-fight-118856054.html

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The video has been removed by the user.
    I never knew there was high school hockey in Texas.

3. Inky_Wretch

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Ice hockey isn't connected with the University Interscholastic League, the primary governing body of high school competitions* in Texas. Apparently some schools let club teams organize under their banner. Both Keller and Martin (where my kids go/will go) do that, but these teams aren't officially linked with the school.

*Not just athletics. Both of my older kids are heavy into the orchestra, and the UIL competitions are the big events of the year.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The only high school state hockey championships I've seen have been in Minnesota, played in front of 18,000 people at the Xcel in St. Paul. This state title matchup appears to have taken place in an armory or a storage shed next to a 20,000-seat high school football stadium. I'm guessing hockey's not quite as big a deal as football.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

This venue is a "Dr. Pepper Star Center", one of several throughout the metroplex. They're basically multipurpose rinks/training facilities that are rented out for clubs, tournaments, lessons, etc. I think the NHL's Stars also schedule regular practice appearances there, but maybe not all of them (I'm not a hockey guy). But you're right, hockey vs. football is a bit of mismatch here in Texas.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hockey may not be a UIL sport but it's got it's own website and corporate sponsor.

http://www.atthighschoolhockeyleague.com/

Wouldn't be surprised if both teams get suspended from competition for next season. That video was right out of the Federal League.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I hope they don't have fights like that at the orchestra competitions!

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Which cheap shot? To me it looks like there was two. One by each team. Both of those players should never be allowed to play again.

10. Inky_Wretch

The one where the kid is watching the fight, minding his own business and a guy off the bench blasts him from behind.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Always nice to see a hockey arena that doubles as a curling rink.

Oh, and the kid in the black sweater got exactly what he deserved. You like dirty, dangerous cheap shots, kid? Fine, here's one for you.

12. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

Good stuff. The wipeout by red-sweater guy is a bonus.

Draft saved Draft deleted