1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas high school championship pick 'ems, Part 1

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's that time of year again.

4A Division I: Copperas Cove (12-2) vs. Rosenberg Lamar (12-2), 7 p.m. Saturday, Round Rock ISD Stadium
    3A Division I: Gilmer (14-0) vs. Liberty Hill (13-0), 7 p.m. Saturday, Baylor’s Floyd Casey Stadium
    2A Division I: Farmersville (12-2) vs. Tatum (13-1), 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Corsicana
    1A Division I: Seymour (10-3) vs. Alto (13-0), 3 p.m. Saturday, Midlothian
    6-Man Division I: Rule (13-0) vs. Richland Springs (13-0), 7:30 p.m. Saturday, San Angelo
    6-Man Division II: Matador Motley County (13-1) vs. Woodson (12-2), 3 p.m. Saturday, San Angelo

I will try to come back and throw in some thoughts on each game later. Y'all discuss among yourselves.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

In the 1A Division I game: Alto is the defending state champ and has given up very few points this season.
    In the Six-Man Division I game, it is a rematch. Richland Springs won last year's game 78-58. RS's quarterback set the national record for touchdowns thrown earlier this season. Rule features a very fast team - which is obviously important in Six-Man. Rule won the 1A state title in track last year and only lost one player from that team.

Edit: Also, Richland Springs has yet to play a full game this season, with every game ending early thanks to the 45-point mercy rule. Rule had to play a four quarter game last week in the semifinals against a team it was supposed to hammer.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

My picks
    4A Division I: Copperas Cove
    3A Division I: Gilmer
    2A Division I: Tatum
    1A Division I: Alto
    Six-Man Division I: Richland Springs
    Six-Man Division II: Matador Motley County

4. Football_Bat

Copperas Cove lost in last year's 4A Division I final to Giovanni Vizza and San Antonio Alamo Heights.

Liberty Hill won the state championship last year in 3A Division II and runs that "nasty slot" offense. Gilmer won it all in 2004 and was a favorite in 2006, but gacked big-time in the first round.

Tatum is going for its third title in a row — after dropping from 3A to 2A. Its conference mate, Elysian Fields, is still alive in the Division II semifinals.

Alto won state last year and has the state's longest active winning streak at 27 games.

Here are my picks:
    4A Division I: Rosenberg Lamar
    3A Division I: Liberty Hill

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I know nothing about Texas football, but I'll try my hand in it.

4A Division I: Copperas Cove
    6-Man Division I: Richland Springs
    Division II: Matador Motley County

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

permian in every catagory. go panthers.

7. Football_Bat

Seymour-Alto kicks off in 30 minutes!

Last chance to pick!

8. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I bombed last year -- maybe it was leaving Texas in '94, I dunno -- but here goes:

4A, Lamar.
    3A, Liberty Hill.
    2A, Tatum.
    1A, Alto.
    Six-man, Rule and Woodson.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'll take these guys:

4A Division I: Rosenberg Lamar

10. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

me neither, so I'll simply piggyback your picks

11. Football_Bat

In other playoff action today ... Pflugerville beat Abilene 20-14 in OT in the 5A Division II semifinals. Pflugerville converted a third-and-31 on their OT possession and scored the game-winner.

Highland Park kicked the crap out of Everman in the 4A Division II semis.

12. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Forgive my ignorance of Texas High School football. It relies heavily on movies:

4A Division I: Odessa Permian (this time they beat Dallas Carter)
    3A Division I: West Canaan (coach Bud Kilmer's boys get it done)
    2A Division I: Texas State University (Kathy Ireland hits the game-winner)
    1A Division I: North Dallas Bulls (Phillip Elliot comes up with a big play -- after several shots of morphine)
    Six-Man Division I: Southlake Carroll (Todd Dodge brings his 12-best players from North Texas)
    Six-Man Division II: (Austin) Lee High School (Randall "Pink" Floyd signs the sheet after all and leads his team to the title. Afterwards, they celebrate at the Emporium).

Draft saved Draft deleted