1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas high school championship pick 'ems, Part 1

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The "Kraut Bowl" between Muenster and Lindsay is a treat every year. Great brats and slightly fewer umlauts.

2. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

do we have to have a thread on every fucking state's worthless, piece-of-shit high school football playoffs?!?!?! [/spnited]

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

No, but then Texas' playoffs are not a worthless, piece-of-shit affair. Check the Alamodome on Dec. 23.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

5. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Seeing as how I did win the HS pickem season championship at my newspaper, I felt a need to chime in here...Take these to your bookie, folks.

Class 4A Division I
    Copperas Cove (12-2) vs. SA Alamo Heights (13-1), 7 p.m. Saturday at Alamodome: Copperas Cove's 21-7 loss to Waco in Week 10 sparked the Bulldogs to 4 straight playoff wins, including huge ones over Texas High and Aledo. Alamo Heights has reeled off 13 straight wins after a season-opening 27-19 loss to Georgetown.

Class 3A Division I
    Texarkana Liberty-Eylau (11-3) vs. Waco Robinson (12-2), 6 p.m. Saturday at SMU: Liberty-Eylau hasn't been dominant this postseason, but survived an 8-hour bus ride to Sweetwater to beat Canyon. Robinson opened the season with a 42-14 loss to Celina, which is favored to win Division II.

Class 2A Division I
    Littlefield (13-1) vs. Tatum (12-2), 6 p.m. Saturday at Aledo: Tatum won state at the Class 3A level last year and dropped in classification, but stumbled early with a loss to 3A power Gilmer and then was tripped up by Troup in district play. Littlefield's only loss was to Childress, a state semifinalist a year ago.

Class A Division I
    McCamey (10-4) vs. Alto (13-0), 3 p.m. Saturday at Brownwood: McCamey, which started the year 2-4, is truly located in BFE, and had to play both Midland's freshmen AND jayvee teams to have a 10-game schedule. They also started the year 2-4 before winning their district. Alto, from the Piney Woods, finished No. 2 in the state AP poll behind Windthorst, but has four legitimate D-I guys.

Six-Man Division I
    Rule (12-0) vs. Richland Springs (13-0), 7 p.m. Saturday at Abilene: Rule, like many other West Texas schools, was an 11-man power for years until their enrollment could no longer support 11-man. Richland Springs won the 2004 title and has held opponents to a touchdown or fewer 8 times, which is impressive in 6-man.

Six-Man Division II
    Jayton (11-3) vs. Vernon Northside (13-1), 3 p.m. Saturday at Abilene: Jayton, which won state titles back-to-back in 1984-85, lost 50-0 to Rule in non-district play. Northside, in the finals for the first time, hasn't scored less than 50 points all season; its only loss was a 102-87 shootout with Amarillo Bible in Week 5.

6. Football_Bat

Oh shoot, better make my own picks before I forget.

Copperas Cove: Pulls upset in Alamo City.

Liberty-Eylau: Winning tradition.

Tatum: Big-game experience carries the day.

Alto: Hide the children from this one.

Richland Springs: Has an awesome junior QB / LB.

Vernon Northside: Gotta love that 'O'.

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

How could you possibly forget TCAL six-man? Jesus will be angry with you.

8. Football_Bat

Bumping for one last chance to pick. Entries must be posted by 3 p.m. CST today.

9. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

And your finals:

Alamo Heights 40, Copperas Cove 28
    Liberty Eylau 35, Robinson 34
    Tatum 32, Littlefield 14
    Alto 42, McCamey 13
    Richland Springs 78, Rule 58
    Northside 60, Jayton 41

10. Football_Bat

And your winner is ....

mltru2tx (6-0).

Sloppy seconds go to yours truly and Jesus_Muscatel (5-1). I missed 4A, he missed 2A. But since I skipped over T-Cal, I guess he's mad at me. :)

Angola! was 3-3 and cougargirl was 2-4.

Part Duh ... coming right up.

11. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

To the contrary, FB, BFE would be Briscoe-Fort Elliott, located east of Amarillo near Oklahoma, sort of in the Panhandle but south of I-40. That is truly BFE.

12. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

F_Bat, don't you think you should add these last two to the totals here? That way I can wait on mltru2tx's picks ...

Draft saved Draft deleted