1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas' attempt to change their textbooks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dreunc1542, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'll give them Stonewall Jackson, but Jeff Davis can suck it.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I don't remember any of my history classes even making it into the 20th century. 11th grade was American History, but it was also the year of the history Regents exam in NY, so we also had to do a review of other areas of history to get us ready for the exam.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

There's no such thing as a politically neutral textbook. .

When I was in high school, what Canadian history we learnt was from a distinctly British point of view.

To summarize: we beat the French on the Plains of Abraham and they've been a pain in the ass ever since.

No mention of the First Nations, Japanese-Canadian internment camps during WW11, the expulsion of the Acadians in 1755 and the rampant anti-semitism of the Mackenzie government and their turning back of Jewish refugees in the early days of the Nazis.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

In Indiana, settlement-1877 is taught in 8th grade. Junior year US History is 1877-present (with about 6 weeks to review all of the previous stuff).

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I can't recall ever going past WWII in any history class, in high school or college. And I wound up with a history minor. Maybe in History 102 we got to Eishenhower.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Did elementary and middle school at a Catholic school and I remember spending a very large amount of time discussing Native Americans. For instance, I vividly recall having to do a big project (complete with oral presentation) on the life of Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce. We would spend unheard of amounts of time on things like Tecumseh and the Prophet and the Roanoke Island settlement. None of my teachers had Native American ties to my knowledge.

The Revolution and its causes were only give lip service. This pretty much continued into high school. The Civil War, however, was always the center piece of the school year. I remember watching Ken Burns' series and having in depth discussions on the causes of the conflict. This would last months.

When we were done with that, it was a race to the end of the school year. No depth in anything, just a blur of dates and places. WWI was never even really discussed. Anything I learned about that came later on. The attitude with WWII seemed to be "Your grandparents were there, ask them." The Holocaust was almost never mentioned. I think we spent a day on it in high school.

I remember one teacher brave enough to take on Vietnam late in the school year, but those debates sometimes got really heated as several students had fathers who served in the conflict.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

What the hell is World War 11?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Odd that this is only an issue when conservatives are making the decisions.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's the one in 2327. Involves Martians, transgendered Communists, and genetically-engineered Siamese cats. It was ugly.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

On a related note, from the opening post, ...

... why would that be?

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Tonight, Michael Savage was saying that one of the problems was that liberals wanted to have the textbooks mention Famous Amos, but not Albert Einstein or Thomas Edision.
    Somehow I doubt that was what was happening.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe because in general, throughout history, liberals have been proven right?

Draft saved Draft deleted