1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas A&M, the SEC, and ESPN's questionable journalism

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chris17, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Seems pretty clear this isn't over. Best guess is that the SEC is:

1. Trying to nail down school No. 14 and

2. Waiting for A&M to formally request to join the conference.

2. Chris17

Chris17 Member

Earlier today, my brother called me an idiot because, as we were both watching at a family event, an ESPN anchor openned a segments by saying (direct quote, I wrote it down when it happened): "Sources have confirmed that Texas A&M will move to the SEC."

I echo BrianGriffin's question above. Will ESPN be held accountable? This was awful journalism. Re-read, if you haven't already, the first post in this forum. So horrible.

I'd go beyond awful journalism. This was (1) misleading the public, and (2) simply unintelligent. Read the damn quotes! How do you write that article around them?

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Agreed. A&M hasn't yet had the meeting to make the decision, even if it is inevitable that it will leave. The Board has to decide to make the request first.

And if I'm the SEC, I don't play my cards yet. I want everything in place before any announcements are made. Which school will be No. 14? Will there be a 15 and 16?

Anything the SEC said today didn't say "We're never going to consider expansion." They're just not going to consider it right now.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'd like for you to find me one thing in that story that's wrong/bad journalism. Giving both sides of a story SHOULD be what we aim for, yes?

5. printdust

printdust New Member

College presidents lie.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

And traditional conferences die?

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

"confirmed to ESPN's Doug Gottlieb" is a good starting point that something might not be right.

8. imjustagirl

That the school INTENDED to go. There's nothing in there saying they are, or they will be invited. I honest to god don't see the uproar here.

9. imjustagirl

I made that point early.

Look, am I defending ESPN here, yes. Am I blind to its faults? Hell no. Anyone who knows me, real life or here, knows I say what I think, consequences largely be damned. I'm not quiet, either. I had MANY "What the fuck is that" comments about the coverage/on-air stuff while I was there.

But on the list of things to blame ESPN for in terms of doing bad journalism, this ain't even top 1,000.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For these type of stories, as well as coaching searches...

Everyone lies.

That was apparent last year when the six Big 12 schools were flirting with the Pac-10. Everybody reported it as fact and then when it fell through, people blamed ESPN.

These are the type of stories where EVERYTHING should be qualified. Could happen. Is likely to happen. There are conflicting reports as to whether this will happen.

11. printdust

printdust New Member

Before you know it, ESPN will start its own conference and bring in Texas, Notre Dame, Ohio State and USC. Urban Meyer will return to coach at Florida, who becomes the fifth member. NCAA investigates the ESPN tie; ESPN either buys the BCS or these five quit the BCS and bow before the ESPN altar.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

This is not any different from election coverage where networks declare winners before the votes are counted, then having to back off and say it's too close to call.

Somewhere along the line, probably about the 24-hour news cycle mushroomed, journalism morphed from "get it first" to "get it before it happens". We can debate until the cows come home whether it was a positive development. It is inevitable, though, that if we routinely engage in reporting things before they happen, we're going to get a few wrong. The suits at ESPN no doubt know this, and for that reason there likely won't be any accountability. It'll be chalked up to nature of the business.

Draft saved Draft deleted