1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas A&M, the SEC, and ESPN's questionable journalism

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chris17, Aug 13, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I can tell you it's usually a very good relationship between the desks. But they're in charge of vetting their guys, and the .com desk is in charge of vetting their guys. So when one of the writers gets a scoop, it goes from the .com desk to TV.

I didn't mean to make it sound like the .com desk just took sloppy seconds. Not the case.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

The way I read it is, like the SEC guy said, the whole thing is a lot slower moving than what is being reported and blogged about. The way I read it is those are probably the teams that have been spitballed about between A&M and the SEC and once A&M makes the jump they will then approach those schools. I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't officially been approached, maybe took a temperature gauge through back channels but that would be it. Because if A&M doesn't officially make the jump then there is no point in them officially stirring the pot with those other teams. A&M is the first domino and then the others will be approached.

Personally I could see Clemson going as well to form a 14 team SEC. I think Fla St. is enjoying running the show in the ACC too much to jump to the SEC. And if FSU ain't going then there is no point in the SEC talking to Mizzu. The Big 12 although weakened could plug in Houston or SMU or both and and keep going. UT doesn't care as long as they still get their big bucks from ESPN and from the Big 12 TV deal as well. Again this is all if A&M does jump.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

AOLnews website has a big pic of SEC commish Mike Slive and war headlines stating a major shift in the collegiate sports landscape, atop a story that tells the schools in each conference that are coming/going.
    There's obviously something there ... and we'll all see exactly what A&M has to do with it shortly.
    Just because nobody wants to go on record doesn't mean there isn't a story brewing.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

This.

Just because the folks at FSU/Mizzou/Clempson are crawfishing like crazy to deny the story doesn't mean there's nothing to it. These esteemed academics wouldn't be above telling a tall tale or two if it serves their purpose, and right now it serves their purpose to appear loyal to wherever they happen to be at the moment. This thing has a long way to go, and I'm going to wait and see what happens before I pass judgement on anyone's reportage.

I will say this, though, A$M had better be mighty careful about how far they push the Texas Legislature. Those boys play hardball, and the UT Force is awfully strong in those hallowed halls.

5. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Yes. And the reality of this business, as we all know, is that if you wait for an official statement, let alone a press conference, you're likely to get scooped, which puts your paper at a marketing disadvantage compared to your competition. With BLOGS! out there and ESPN, Yahoo and SI having developed robust internet news divisions, scoops are an even more valued commodity.

6. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

I was going to weigh in on this, but it's gotten much too deep. With that, I still believe that someday, at some time, someone will take exception to a story filed by ESPN or whoever, hold it/them accountable (still no accountability regarding Internet journalism (cough!) and go all Carol Burnett and take them to court, saying along the way, "I will own your ass when this is over, so just bend over now."

Then, the landscape will change, as it should have already.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if this might have just been something TaM people decided to float to put pressure on Texas to spread some more money around. And as things picked up steam speculation became reality.
    I've heard stories of actors and roles and possible movie projects that were just shot out of someone's butt, but once producers saw the attention the speculation received on the Internet they actually went forward with a project or invited an actor or actress in. I think it was Brooklyn Decker who said she read something on the Internet about her being a possibility when Megan Fox was dumped from the last Transformers movies - the producers weren't considering her, but when they saw the response they brought her in for an audition.
    I really wouldn't be surprised if Texas actually does come back and promise to kick in more to the rest of the Big 12. It would probably be less costly than trying to schedule all of their sports as an Independent.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Some things to ponder.

1. ESPN is in bed with Texas to the tune of $300 million. It's also in bed with the SEC to the tune of $2 BILLION over 15 years. I would not assume the WWL is doing UT's bidding on this.

2. As was mentioned earlier, rumor is the SEC is also talking to Mizzou, Clemson & FSU. That doesn't mean they'll invite all three. They'll probably only invite one but they want options.

3. Once again, Mizzou will play the role of the jilted lover.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Interesting that none of this talk also seems to include Oklahoma.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

In Sunday morning's San Antonio Express-News a reporter and a columnist, citing actual NY Times reporting, wrote that SEC presidents are expected to meet today and vote on whether to invite A&M to join.
    Also noted from Times reporting: There is a 30-40 percent chance that the SEC presidents would decline to invite A&M.
    Stories also said A&M's regents would conduct a telephonic meeting Monday to discuss conference alignment.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Great background, but this really stuck out:

Well, TV MIGHT have told the .com desk. It might not.

And there's the big hole in the dam. I understand TV drives that Titanic, but it's clear there needs to be a lot more talking going on between the desks when stuff like this happens so everyone is on the same page. Because just like newspapers aren't just about the printed product anymore, there's more to ESPN than just what comes across Channels 206, 207, 209 and 614. Or it at least needs to think that way.

And perhaps (probably?) there needs to be some better vetting on the TV side of things when breaking these kinds of big-boy stories by analysts. Was nothing learned from Kirk Herbstreit and Les Miles?

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well, for now, I'm ignoring the ESPN aspect. FWIW, Fox Sports has been trying to make that TAMU, Mizzou, Clemson and Florida State wlll eventually defect story stick.

Buying College Station because what was left of the Big 12 has been too desperate to kiss Texas' butt. Sickening to everyone who doesn't believe in burnt orange, but almost certainly moreso to those associated with Texas A&M.

Not buying Clemson ... at least in part because it can't rule the ACC in football now. What on Earth makes anyone think it's going to fare better in the SEC? Might be OK, if not halfway decent in men's basketball and women's basketball is a mess. Golf success?

Florida State? Maybe there's enough scholarship money to woo the Seminoles. Funny part is that while football seems to be getting back on its feet, Florida State would be missed for both men's and women's basketball. Leonard Hamilton is the longest-tenured coach in the league aside from Mike Krzyzewski and probably the only coach with enough talent and gameplan to pop the balloons of Roy Williams and Coach K more than once a decade, especially now that Gary Williams has retired. Sue Semrau has done wonder with the women's program.

Mizzou? We have plenty of people who can speculate on that with more knowledge than the soul at this keyboard. Only guess here is that the school, like TAMU, is sick of the league worrying about Texas and Texas alone.

Carry on with the ESPN crash and bash ... sorry to interrupt ...

Draft saved Draft deleted