1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas A&M, the SEC, and ESPN's questionable journalism

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chris17, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Chris17

Chris17 Member

My buddies around here are sure that A&M is moving to the SEC. They cite an ESPN front page article headlined "A&M intends to join SEC, school official says."

So I read the story. Well, there are absolutely no sources to backup .... wait, let me rephrase that.... the sources completely and 100% contradict everything the writer is trying to say in his piece. ESPN is making a story out of nothing because itll drive hits and ratings. Here's the story, and pay close attention (as we always should) to the quotes:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6859115/texas-aggies-intend-join-sec-school-official-says

First, the quote from the SEC: "We realize if we do this, we have to have the 14th," the SEC official said. "No name has been thrown out. This thing is much slower out of the chute than the media and blogs have made it."

So the writer, in his attempt to keep the story alive, says that Florida State, Clemson and Missouri are options. What do they say??

Mizzou AD - "No, no, no," Alden told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on Saturday, before reaffirming the school's commitment to the Big 12.

Florida State President - "From coach to (athletic director) to president and the board chair (trustees), there has been no discussion," Florida State president Eric Barron told The Associated Press in a phone interview Saturday.

And Clemson president
    = ""We have had no contact with the SEC."

Yet, ESPN insists that it has the sources. The SEC and its coaches have said that they wont add a 13th team without a 14th. And where's the 14th? ESPN is freaking out because its a boost to website hits. It's their job. And its working... the public is freaking out. And everyone down here in Texas thinks its a "done deal."

This story broke this week when Texas Governor Rick Perry said (direct quote) "conversations have been had" about switching conferences. Well no shit. Conversations have been had at every school in America.

And by the way... two days later, Rick Perry announced his candidacy for President. You think if you went to Mitt Romney or Michelle Bachman or any candidate, and said Hey, You could be on SportsCenter... they'd all be like hell yeah! That's what Perry did.

So yeah, the A&M move might happen, but I highly doubt it will happen this week. Everyone is getting sucked in to ESPN's ability to create a story out of nowhere.

Just my thoughts.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'm as skeptical about ESPN general reportage as the next guy, but there's obviously something there.

AP:
    "Texas A&M ... moved up a meeting of the board of regents from Aug. 22 to Monday that includes an agenda item about conference realignment."

3. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Mistake No. 1 is assuming ESPN is a journalistic entity.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This entire meme is ridiculous.

5. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

ESPN creating a story ... From the network that had Steve Phillips holding fake news conferences pretending to be the GM of baseball teams before the trade deadline a couple years ago ... The hell you say.

6. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I was just seeing if you were awake. In fact, I think ESPN is kicking everyone's ass on the Ohio State, Tressel story.

7. imjustagirl

How exactly was that creating a story?

I think you're confusing your ESPN IS EVIL AND DESTROYING THE WORLD memes.

8. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

ESPN isn't alone, to be fair. Teddy Greenstein at the Chi Trib relates direct quote from Big 10 commissioner Jim Delany that the conference has "shut down active expansion" ... yet the Bleacher Report has its "exclusive" six likeliest targets for Big Ten expansion.

9. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Well, in my mind, creating a fake news conference rather than actually, you know, sending a reporter to the real GMs office and asking him, you know, real questions, is creating a story.
    And I don't think ESPN is evil, I just think they'll do anything for an extra rating point (as do CBS, NBC, ABC, et al) and the question of journalistic integrity left the acreage a long time ago.

10. imjustagirl

Oh, my god. Are you serious? Like really, truly serious?

See, that's called ANALYSIS. Whether Phillips did it behind a desk or behind a lectern, it was still analysis.

Did I hate it? Yes. Did I think it was embarrassing? Yes. But it sure as shit didn't replace actual work. You think Buster Olney just called in, they said "Hey, take a week off, we're going to just throw Phillips out there to make stuff up."?

You're an idiot.

11. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I never said they stopped reporting, did I? And resorting to name calling? That's so ... like you.

12. imjustagirl

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rather%20than

Yep, yep you did.

Draft saved Draft deleted