1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texarkana, TX -- Sports Writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Harry Doyle, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Company: Texarkana Gazette
    Position:
    Seeking Sports Writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires:
    October 8, 2009
    Job ID: 1094404

Description:
    The Texarkana Gazette, a 32,000 circulation daily covering portions of Texas and Arkansas, is looking for enterprising and hard working sports writer. Primary responsibilities are covering local high school sports, although some college and pro coverage is possible. Most work is in the field, although office work is rotated through the sports staff. Schedule is irregular. Evening and weekend work is required. This is a writing position with no page make-up involved. Applicant must have a vehicle, certificate of insurance and a good driving record. A border city on the state line of Arkansas and Texas, the Gazette offers applicants unique opportunities in sports coverage, including sports features, advances, statistical profiles, non-traditional sports, and game coverage of sectional rivalries. Regional candidates encouraged. Send cover letter, resume and clips to Texarkana Gazette ATTN: Anna Johnson, P.O. Box 621, Texarkana, TX, 75504, or e-mail ajohnson@wehco.com.

What we know: The boys are thirsty in Atlanta, and there's beer in Texarkana. What else?

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

And we'll bring it back no matter what it takes....

Seriously... $20-25K is low even for Texas.

3. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

Someone cue Rose Marie of "Dick Van Dyke" fame.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Did somebody die?

Used to be the only way anyone left the sports staff at Texarkana was in a hearse. There were some real long-timers on that staff.

5. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

For a newspaper that big to pay that little is criminal. I've been to Texarkana and it's nothing special. Kind of ugly as I recall. Maybe I should have gone over to the Arkansas side and seen if it looked any better.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Arkansas side has all the liquor stores. The Texas side has all the banks.

7. MrBSquared

MrBSquared Member

Can state for a fact that I know of a 10K, 6-day daily outside of San Antonio that pays better than $20K-$25K ... that is embarassing. Do they offer that wage with a straight face?

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

This isn't about Kerrville. LOL

9. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Another shitty salary? Sadly, it's never going to get better unless people quit lowering their standards. The cycle will continue.

10. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

That was my exact thought when I saw this. That staff seemed to never break up.

If it weren't a such a huge cut in pay I would take this job in a heartbeat if offered.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is true.

The salaries that papers are offering/getting away with, almost no matter what people's backgrounds, experiences or up-sides, and no matter the location of the job, really are getting to be inexplicable and inexcusable.

Virtually all the jobs, even potentially very good ones, are for "an intern," "a recent grad," "someone with very little experience," "an up-and-comer who really wants to show what they can do," or else, jobs are openly offered "at an entry-level salary, "although veterans are certainly welcome to apply," and prime mid- and elite-level beats are being offered to kids, or being covered by freelancers.

Unfortunately, this is happening on this board and in this business all the time nowadays.

It is crazy bad, for everyone, and makes me feel, especially, for anybody over the age of, oh, about 25.

And yes, that demographic includes me.

12. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

pay sucks. city sucks. sports editor is a cool dude who isn't scared to say what's on his mind.

pm me if you want some info on the staff/paper/city.

Draft saved Draft deleted