1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texans are crazy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Allen is building a $60m, 18,000-seat high school football stadium

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1074494

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/77231/

And you can't blame a weird thread title, because yours is too. ;)

(at least your state has a state to make fun of)

3. highlander

highlander Member

What's so crazy?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

IJAG, I thought that thread was about a hot teacher sexing students.

And it's crazy because it's a waste of money. Studies show stadiums never produce an ROI on taxpayer money.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Before all the self-loathing sports handwringers come pouring out of the woodwork, please consider that 1) this was a bond issue approved by voters in the school district; 2) this bond money is totally separate from educational funds and is also only part of a larger building plan; 3) Allen is the largest one-town high school in the state at over 5,000 students grades 9-12; and 4) it's still thousands capacity smaller than Ratliff Stadium of Permian fame.

I live about 10 miles from the stadium site as the crow flies. I will tell you Allen is not the first to build a stadium like this (the Berry Center in Cy-Fair is just as nice, only shared by more schools), nor will it be the last.

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

In Indiana, we have the same thing ... just basketball gyms.

Something like 15 gyms in the state seat more than 7,000.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And, sadly, a lot of those gyms don't pack them in anymore.

If those 18,000 seats are full on Friday nights, good for them. No argument here.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Probably a thousand of them will be taken up by the Allen band alone.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

This will certainly show how we can beat the Islamic terrorists, our relgious schools (Texas Public) are better than yours. We spend more on football than they do on arms and ammunition. And Texas schools are bible based, too.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have no problem with this if it is needed by a community to host events like concerts, trade shows, festivals and other things.

I work in an area that has about 250,000 people but they have to drive 60 minutes before they can see a decent outdoor concert or have a good festival.

To this be just used by the school for football and soccer is insane. I am assuming they will allow soccer there.

Draft saved Draft deleted