1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tex Schramm and the NFL players=cattle story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fgoodwin, Feb 2, 2018.

1. fgoodwin

fgoodwin New Member

"Players are cattle and owners are ranchers, and the ranchers can always get more cattle."

Tex Schramm said that to Gene Upshaw back in 1987, right? So it would seem but it's not true. Actually, Gene Upshaw made up that analogy, not Schramm, and he wasn't quoting Schramm as some claim. The source of that story is an article in the Sep 25, 1987, edition of Newsday, here is the relevant quote:

Upshaw said that Schramm was very direct about free agency during the talks yesterday.

"Tex made it very clear," Upshaw said. "He said the owners are the stewards of the game, and the players are only transient workers. The players come and go, but the game is the most important thing. I guess you have to relate that comment to something that it reminds me of: They are the ranchers and we are the cattle and they could always get more cattle."​

It is clear that Upshaw came up with the analogy, he was NOT quoting Schramm. It took me less than ten minutes to track down the original story in the Newsday archives. Why do so many journalists (rather, bloggers) continue to get the story wrong?

By the way, I've uploaded a copy of the original 1987 article to google docs. PM me if you want the link (it's copyrighted material and I don't want to post the link publicly).

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think it was Schramm who, when players were complaining about how artificial turf was causing injuries, told them that not only would they would play on it, but also like it.

Draft saved Draft deleted