1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Testimony from Armstrong lawsuit unveiled

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Left_Coast, Jul 9, 2006.

1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Come on, now. That's going a little too far. I agree that most Americans don't care about cycling, but they care about Lance Armstrong. The guy has been Si Sportsman of the Year, hosted Saturday Night Live and been an inspiration to who knows how many cancer patients. I would venture to say that Armstrong has more name recognition in this country most, if not all, NFL quarterbacks, for example. It also doesn't matter whether everyone else in the sport is doping. Lance is the famous one who swore up and down that he was clean. If he's proven to be a liar, it's huge news.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

It's not like someone fucking around with baseball's most hallowed records.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

As the scandal unfolding now in Europe shows, almost all of the top cyclists seem to be dopers -- or at least accused of it.

So Lance either:
    -- a.) found some shit better than everyone else's;
    -- b.) took the same stuff as everyone else and still worked harder than the rest of them.

I'm going for b. So he doped. Not excusable, but it seems like he's following everyone else's lead.

Next?

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A cheat is a cheat, as far as I am concerned. Big difference for me is I care much more about major league baseball than I do about professional cycling. But it's wrong in both sports. Starman made a good point about the cheaters in baseball skewing things that make it a patently unfair game for the non-cheaters, since not everyone cheats. As far as I can tell, pro cycling is rampant with cheating, so the playing field is probably more even--not that I excuse it because of that. I'd still, personally rather see people compete without cheating. Sports, for me, should be about the best athletes in the world competing against each other based on their natural abilities.

One other difference between pro cycling and baseball/football/basketball cheating are the methods. I am sure there is steroid use galore among pro cyclists--there would certainly be benefits--but they seem to gain their biggest advantage from boosting their red cell counts. Stage racing is an endurance sport, and especially in the mountains, being able to carry more oxygen is a huge advantage. That is why EPO--which boosts the blood's ability to stay oxygenated--has been the major problem drug in that sport for the past decade. It's particularly dangerous, because it makes your blood so viscous, due to the increase in red blood cells, that it greatly increases the chances of heart attack and stroke. It's why quite a few cyclists have stroked out and died over the last decade.

5. Johnsonville

Johnsonville Member

Now you know why the French are pissed. He has fucked with one of their most hallowed records.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

He was not the only doper on the Tour -- he was in the majority, not the minority.

Again, no excuse for his actions. But, hey, whatever.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It means that everything he has stood for the the past 8 years has been a lie.

But hey, whatever. Its just building your professional reputation on a lie.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Poin, I agree on that. The man has lied about being on the shit, probably. Karma's a bitch. One day it will bite him in the ass, if you don't think losing one nut is enough of a bite in the ass that is.

But does that take away his accomplishment, that he won against athletes who, like him, were doping up as well?

Draft saved Draft deleted