1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Testimony from Armstrong lawsuit unveiled

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Left_Coast, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

The L.A. Times got its hands on court testimony regarding a contract dispute involving Lance Armstrong. Very interesting read.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-armstrong9jul09,0,4786648,full.story?coll=la-home-sports

Among accusations contained in the hearing record were:

• Testimony with new details about tests in 2004 that apparently detected drugs in Armstrong's preserved urine samples from the 1999 race.

An Australian anti-doping researcher told arbitrators that the samples showed evidence "beyond any reasonable doubt" of a banned substance: synthetic EPO, or erythropoietin. However, a Dutch report questioned the tests' validity and Armstrong, in his testimony, rejected the findings and denied using EPO.

• Testimony that Armstrong once acknowledged to doctors that he'd used drugs, what one former teammate called "hot sauce."

The wife of a cycling teammate testified that during an Indiana hospital visit she heard Armstrong tell a doctor he took various drugs, including steroids. Armstrong denied using drugs and testified that no such conversation occurred.

• Testimony of some teammates that they discussed with Armstrong adopting a doping regimen to improve their Tour competitiveness as early as 1995.

• Allegations of prohibited blood transfusions by members of Armstrong's team in 2005.

In one exchange of computer messages, marked as an exhibit in the arbitration case and discussed during the hearings, two racing colleagues referred to refrigerated blood supplies that supposedly were delivered along the race course by motorcycle couriers.

• Testimony of a secret Armstrong meeting in a parking lot outside Milan with a controversial Italian doctor who has publicly defended the safety of a banned drug.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Not Lance! He's our golden boy! That would mean all those dastardly French journos weren't on some anti-American crusade!

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Lance... media concoction.

No one here gives a shit about him or that sport.

Soccer is NFL football in comparison.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

1. Lance almost certainly dopes.

2. So does virtually everybody else in top-level cycling.

3. There is, certainly, a vehement anti-American, and certainly anti-Lance Armstrong, campaign undertaken by much of the Euro media.

4. Who gives a shit. (Question mark omitted in light of rhetorical nature.)

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well you can't give Lance a pass yet go on a jihad against Barry Bonds on the same general sort of evidence. And, conversely, you can't give Barry a pass but try to bring down Lance.

6. Starman

The evidence against Barry Bonds is visually incontestable and utterly obvious.

Anyone who could possibly believe Bonds is not stoked up on roids has to be an utter imbecile, and can be dismissed from any discussion involving intelligent adults.

Armstrong COULD simply be in really, really good shape. I don't believe it, but it could be true.

It doesn't require intentionally lowering your IQ to single digits to believe Armstrong is not doping.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I really think he's doping. However, unless I'm missing something, aren't these still just accusations?

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I agree. I wonder if some of what has been reported about Armstrong relates to things he had to do as part of his cancer regime. And my concern is that there are people who instinctively have tried to excuse Bonds -- they're out there, and I agree they're imbeciles, but still -- who are more dismissive of Lance's vows of innocence because "it's only cycling."

9. Starman

The thing about Bonds is that there is at least some significant number of MLB players who do not dope, and in fact never doped. To allow Bonds and other dopers to get away with it, places the non-dopers at an impossible disadvantage.

I don't think there's any comparable percentage of non-dopers in cycling. Therefore, I don't care if Armstrong dopes too.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

If Lance isn't doping, there sure are a lot of liars out there trying to discredit him.

11. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

They hate our freedom and his success.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

No.. one... gives... a ... shit.... about... cycling.

That's why his inclusion in discussing Barry Bonds is patently ridiculous.

It's like an American curling star being busted.

Draft saved Draft deleted