1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Test protest: Chicago teachers say they'll refuse to give ISAT

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 1, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Teachers are refusing to administer state mandated tests, and their union is vowing to strongly defend them:

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Those damn teachers always working against parents.

Teachers at Saucedo say they were bolstered by the 320 parents at the school who have yanked their kids from the test. Jason Reese is one of them. His seventh-grade daughter sat in the passenger seat of the family’s minivan at dismissal, reading her second novel of the week. Reese says he opted his children out of the ISAT because “they’re constantly taking tests over and over again. They need to get more instruction in the classroom as opposed to being tested for everything that they do.”

3. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

That is encouraging news. Way too much in administrative costs, I would imagine, to do all this testing. I remember when my actual "grades" were what counted.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's constantly shocking how many people are constantly shocked how unions (in this case teachers) pretty uniformly back the interests of their members.

You would almost think it was one of their primary reasons for existence or something.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have no problem with a uniform standardized assessment because it's a lot more accurate than a grade when comparing students from all areas of the country. What is screwed is thinking 95 or 100 percent of students will pass the thing.

And very soon a standardized test will not be simple multiple choice, and I would not be surprised if grades were gone in about 10 years and replaced by hundreds of individual strands that will show mastery of a concept by a student.

Billy knows 2 by 2 multiplication but has yet to master 2 by 3. He understands that and which usage but not than and then. Hi, Moddy!

6. 93Devil

ACT

SAT

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Based on this video, the folks running a "professional development" seminar believe Chicago teachers to be second graders.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2014/02/28/a-video-that-shows-why-teachers-are-going-out-of-their-minds/?tid=sm_fb

8. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Holy cow, that's awful. What is the point of that?

9. 93Devil

Second grade teachers do not teach that way... not since 1978.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I don't know what disturbs me more -- that the seminar leader instructed in that manner or that the teachers sat there and allowed it.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'm choosing the latter on that. I wonder, however, if this nonsense continued for several more minutes and if the teachers kept singing along like lemmings or if they protested.

Draft saved Draft deleted