1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tescor surveys

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cs2823, Feb 4, 2010.

1. cs2823

cs2823 New Member

Okay, is anybody familair with a Tescor survey? For a job I am applying for (and really want) I have to take one. So far, I've taken it twice and failed it both times. They are letting me take it again tomorrow for a third time (and who knows how many times they will let me take it before they say enough's enough).

Obviously I am being fooled by a question or two and I have no idea what or why. All the answers are so obvious (no I don't steal, no I don't do drugs, no I don't beat people up, etc).

Anyone know anything about these tests and WHY in the hell am I failing??

One of the questions is "Since the age of 16, how often have you told a lie?" So I marked "never." Are they looking for me to answer "seldom" or "sometimes" because they just assume everyone has lied before so therefore I'm lying by answering "never?"

I'm really confused and stressed out by this. Please help if you can. Thanks!!
  2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I find it virtually impossible to believe that anyone could go any length of time measured in years without telling some sort of lie.
  3. cs2823

cs2823 New Member

I agree totally. I just marked "never" because I thought I should just be answering all the questions that make me seem like a nice wholesome law-abiding person. If I admit to lying then they will say "he's a liar." But if I mark "never" then they think I'm lying right now. WTF??
  4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I would almost guarantee that answering 'never' to that lie question is a red flag.

That survey is going to have been designed to flag 'correct' answers, as in the answers that people will give that they THINK the people giving the test want to hear. That lying question is a prime example, and there's probably at least two or three others.

If I were you, I'd start just answering the questions honestly, rather than trying to outsmart the test. (That sounds judgmental -- it's really not meant to be.)
  5. cs2823

cs2823 New Member

Yeah I think you are right on that. Both times I took it I gave the answers I thought they would want to hear rather than the honest-to-god truthful answers. But now I'm having trouble determining which ones I should really answer truthfully because yes I was in college once and yes I engaged in some activities that college kids engage in from time to time. So do I lie my ass off about all that or do I admit to it and risk that??
  6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I might be slightly too much of an idealist for these situations, but I say tell the truth, with obvious exceptions.

If you used to steal money out of the till when you worked at a grocery store? Yeah, don't mention that. But if you smoked pot occasionally in college? So what.
  7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That sounds like a Wal-Mart test I took for a job applied for while in college. "A marijuana cigarette is just like a beer. Strongly disagree? Disagree? Slightly disagree? etc." Trap question after trap question.
  8. cs2823

cs2823 New Member

Exactly. "Trap question" is a great way of describing it. I feel like they are trying to bait me into admitting to something. There's a bunch of questions about violence on there such as how many times have you hit someone and have you ever been so annoyed by someone you wanted to hit them. Those ones re obviously "never."

But then there's this one --- "how important do you think it is to have skills to physically defend yourself when necessary?" I marked the answer of "very unimportant." Now yes, if I was jumped in the streets I would like to be able to fend off my attacker. So maybe I should've answered "very important." But I answered it the way I did because I wanted to give a non violent answer and make myself appear as a non violent person, which I am. I've honestly never been in a real fistfight in my entire life. However, if I got jumped in the street and didn't defend myself and got my ass kicked because I didn't or couldn't fight back, did I do anything wrong?? No. So I don't see how they could think that answering "very unimportant" is a wrong answer.

And another one was what is the total value of everything you have stolen from work aside from small office supplies like pens and paper. I marked "zero." Should I have marked the "$10-20" answer? Because the truth is I honestly have never stolen anything aside from small office supplies. So if I marked the "small amount" answer I would actually be lying. But if I answer it truthfully they might think that I'm lying.

This is so frsutarting and I cant believe that this dumbass test is causing me so much stress. I REALLY want this job.

And I think the fact that I have failed this twice already raises a red flag about me and I haven't even met these people in person yet. So they probably already have made a judgement about me.
  9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Say you like. Claiming you haven't told a lie since you were 16 will fail you every time.
    If you did drugs, I wouldn't admit it. Underage drinking, I would probably admit it.
  10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Paging Capt. Yossarian.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Never heard of this but I just hit the google, because the idea of this kind of screening fascinated me. I found this:

12. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

The other thing to remember is they're looking for the difference in feeling and acting. I think most people have felt angry enough to hit someone at one point. The difference is the impulse control to act on it.
Draft saved Draft deleted