1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terry Hoeppner, RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BigDog, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

With any luck, we'll learn about this horrifying disease and with any luck, stop it from taking the futures of such quality people like Terry Hoeppner.

Like others here, I don't know him and I never had a chance to meet the man. But from the stories I've heard, this is another big blow to the human race.

RIP. Keep Pounding.

2. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Hard to find a greater contrast to the Saban model coach then Hoeppner:

Hoeppner stayed at Miami of Ohio, for 19 seasons, 13 spent as one of the most respected assistants in the college game, during which time he easily could've moved on to a higher paying position at a major program if he had pursued that route. And when he finally left Oxford for the IU job, it was largely because he was an Indiana native and, as bizarre as it sounds, says that coaching IU had always been his dream. He talked about the IU job as if it was something special and said it with such sincerity that you actually believed he meant it. It would've been interesting to see if he could've actually gotten that ship turned around.

There aren't many coaches left with that sense of loyalty who see the world the way guys like Paterno and Hoeppner did. The Saban model seems to have taken over.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wow, this does suck. Didn't know the guy from a hole in the wall, but the fact that he even got people in Bloomington talking about football again, in a town that was a football graveyard, is a plus. And, thankfully, he quickly wiped the Gerry DiNardo era out of everyone's minds.

RIP.

4. Can't add much to what others have said. Never met the man, but it doesn't take much research to find out how much he had invigorated Indiana football and its fans - no small task - and how he seems like one of those guys who, if you knew him, you loved him.

A kid from our coverage area plays for the Hoosiers and I just talked to him for our story. He said that even though they were somewhat prepared this might happen sooner than later, the players were 'shocked' when they got the news this morning.
    I feel as badly - maybe even more so - for those who were close to Terry Hoeppner. It would seem their lives are a little less rich as of this morning.

RIP, indeed.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Turns out that I covered his last game last year at Purdue.

I'd have to dig up the column I wrote, but I was very impressed with the way he handled the crushing disappointment IU was feeling after it fell short of qualifying for a bowl. He made light of his own health problems at the time and had the air that it was just a bump in the road and that he'd be there to see it through for IU. You didn't feel like it was a sad occasion at all.

Sadly it turned out it was. RIP Terry. Life isn't fair.

Draft saved Draft deleted