1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terry Frei of the Denver Post fired for tweet about Japanese Indy 500 winner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kolchak, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

This was Terry Frei's (since-deleted) tweet from Sunday:

[​IMG]

Then in responding to the criticism he received, he decided to double down on it... by promoting his book (which has also been deleted):

[​IMG]

Then he apologized (which has since been deleted some time after this thread was made):

[​IMG]

Then he apologized again with a long-winded attempt to save his own ass:

And here was the Denver Post's response this morning:

We apologize for the disrespectful and unacceptable tweet that was sent by one of our reporters. Terry Frei is no longer an employee of The Denver Post. It’s our policy not to comment further on personnel issues.

The tweet doesn’t represent what we believe nor what we stand for. We hope you will accept our profound apologies.

Mac Tully and Lee Ann Colacioppo

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He's a racist dummy.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We were talking about this last night - wasn't sure then what I'd do but I can't quibble with the outcome. Use your brains folks

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Don't know anything about Frei. Is he one of these "hot takers" who tends to stir things up for clicks? Dissing the hometown team, local heroes and the like?

5. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

No. I think he's a good journalist. That said, he does promote his books an awful lot. More than any other take he makes. This was an odd tweet. He obviously feels strongly about his dad's involvement in the Pacific, but it was kind of out of nowhere. Almost seemed like a drunk tweet to me. Not that that makes it any better.

6. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Frei is a German name. Sure, his dad flew planes or something or whatever. But what did his other relatives do in the war?

7. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Frei is definitely not a hot-take, "look at me" screamer. When he was a columnist at The Oregonian, among the criticisms of him was that he rarely made a point that anyone would quibble with.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Given how many people have paid with their jobs for similar stupid posts on social media, I have zero sympathy for him.

He fucked up, cast a bad light on his employer and deserved to be fired. His first "apology" was something you'd expect from a 5-year-old.

9. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Read Frei for a long time and he's definitely not a hot-take type. Enjoyed the few interactions I had with him too. All that being said, he did something stupid that put his career in jeopardy and followed it up with another level of stupid that made the Post's decision easy. No one to blame but himself. I believe everyone has some thoughts or opinions about different things that are unsavory at best and sometimes you have to suck up the desire to disclose it and just take it to your grave.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This is one of those times when you need to carry that can of STFU with you.

BurnsWhenIPee and nafselon like this.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Probably doubly mad that a Honda engine was in the winning car as well. Also in 12 of the last 14 winning cars.

12. He should have been fired. My Dad fought in the Pacific in WWII, and held a prejudice against the Japanese the rest of his life (he died in 1986).

But that war was a long, long, time ago and the world is a far different place.

Xsportschick likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.