1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terry Bradshaw steroid admission?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wheateater, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

No team has ever had a ref hand over a playoff game like the Pats did in 2002.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No, I think it's how you get stink eye.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Simple facts whether you like them or not.

The Steelers won Super Bowl XL.

The Patriots lost Super Bowl XLII.

Get over it. :)

Edit: Excellent point by Simon regarding 2002.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You didn't already?

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, pretty much. ::) ::)

Totally threadjacking here, but on the topic of steroids in the 1970s, there were plenty of rumors going around about Reggie Jackson, after his third or fourth season in Oakland (a season or so before the first free-agent bidding was about to open), who suddenly ballooned up from a 185-190 pounder to 230-240. (Although Jackson had his astonishing home-run season -- 47 in 1969 in the airport-sized Oakland Coliseum -- while he was still pretty slim and trim).

But in any case, steroids did not just appear out of nowhere in the late 1980s.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Another thing about this just struck me.

Why would he want to wipe his ass with a Terrible Towel. I'm guessing he has never touched one. They aren't particularly soft.

It is also kind of wasteful and a little strange. I a kid I went to summer camp with when I was fairly young. He caused a bit of a stir once when he used a towel to wipe his ass. For some reason, he was never allowed to use the sharp scissors in arts and crafts. I always wondered if those two things were related.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

93Devil has no idea why he just suspended his entire school.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

so are you insane, then?

400-lb offensive linemen running 4.2 40s. Players dropping dead DECADES before their expected life span for DECADES now.

Just because the NFL has the best PR in sports doesn't mean its drug testing is the best. It's horseshit.

9. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Terry Bradshaw's admission of steroid use is old news; it's more than a generation ago and has little relevance for today's athlete.

There is no doubt that steroid abuse can have long term downside effects, but the upside potential for a young athlete is too tempting. The mentality that allows a $10 million bonus to be frittered away without planning for life after sport is no different than the use of performance enhancing drugs. The penalty is too far removed from the crime. Remember how you're supposed to punish your dog immediatly for messing the carpet.

The pot of gold too big at the end of the rainbow for athletes to abstain from any extra edge they might try to get. Money and fame are great motivators for crimes of all types. To say that athletes are a special breed apart may be narrow minded. Chemistry and science have changed sports adn not necessarily for the better. Just wait until gene doping becomes more wide spread. Steroids may become an historical footnote.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

If I had a chance to make $10 million dollars, but it meant I had to cheat to do it, I would.

And I doubt anyone in their right mind would say otherwise.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

No other sport suspends its stars for a quarter of the season.

So, get off your toadstool on this one.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Right. Shawne Merriman is the ONLY NFL star to ever use drugs. I am sure of that.

It pays to have a good union.

Draft saved Draft deleted