1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terror rant

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SockPuppet, Aug 11, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The idea of this nation being "safer" is laughable, simply because it's the wrong word. Being safe is not just a security issue, it's also an emotional issue. If you put in certain "safety" mechanisms, then you're not just safe, you feel safe, too. If I double-lock my door and have a burglar alarm, the idea is these things would make me feel safer and I'd be able to sleep better.

But stopping terror plots doesn't mean we're safer. It means we're more on edge in certain areas because of it. Notice the panic after this most recent plot was foiled.

What gets me, though, is that when local police talk about busting up a break-in ring or catch a wanted killer, there usually is a general sense of "safety," not more panic that seems to ensue when the feds make a big stop. Why is that?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

We weren't safe on 9/11. And we aren't safe today. But your expectation that anyone can keep you safe is ridiculous. I'd argue that we have actually done a lot of things to make ourselves safer since 9/11.

I suggest you read the Atlantic Monthly article this month about just how well we have done since 9/11. It makes the very convincing, and very overlooked argument, that if Al Queda and other terrorist groups were taking stock of wher they are today compared with 5 years ago, their honest asseseement would have to be that their capabilities have been severely degraded. It was written by James Fallows and it is very thorough. He talked to 60 experts from various disciplines and looked at it from just about every perspective one can.

In 2001, Al Queda had a strong infrastructure, was operating freely in Afghanistan--running terrorist training camps--and could communicate using modern methods. Now there is no centralized structure and communication has been severely destroyed to the point that cells that spring up and want to harm us need to take the initiative on their own instead of relying on operational planning from a leader half a world away. In 2001, Al Queda money flowed freely across borders. Now assets have been frozen or seized. Hundreds of their fighters have been killed. We haven't caught Osama Bin Laden, but he's been rendered close to meaningless in terms of tangible, harmful things he can do to us.

That said, are we completely safe? No. It's a cold hard fact. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of zealot-like crazies out there that want to harm us. At some point, one of them may be successful. You can say anything you want about Bush's failures as President, but that isn't his fault. Terrorists wanted to harm us long before him and they will continue to want to long after him.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Rags, I'm not blaming Bush in this particular case, although I do question his assertion that we are "safer." Blaming Bush for everything gets a little old, although it is fun from time to time.

And I'm not asking about the structure of Al-Qaida, before or after. I'm simply questioning the notion that we are "safer" since 9/11.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

They're already in bankruptcy.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'd say that it is almost inarguable that we are. We were completely unprepared for 9/11. We are not completely unprepared now. We now spend billions on homeland security measures and we are using our intelligence assets much more wisely. It doesn't mean we're safe. But safer? Sure. They thwarted this latest attempt to blow up planes because of the kinds of measures that were adopted post 9/11.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You could probably argue that we're safe from certain types of attacks than we were prior to 9-11. But the idea that we've ever been entirely "safe" from all attacks isn't realistic.

Of course if you're the president, or any elected official, the last thing  you want to do is tell the country we're less safe. All that does is create more panic. And CNN, MSNBC, Fox, etc. do a prett good job of that already.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I would say that we felt a lot safer before 9-11. I would also say that the chances of a terrorist attack against major buildings using airplanes were a lot higher on August 11, 2001 than they are August 11, 2006. I don't know if we're safer, but I do know we're a lot more aware, and that makes us feel a lot less safe.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You know, that's a pretty good explanation. Being more aware makes you feel less safe, even if you might be safer on some level.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

When you lose your innocence, there's no regaining it, I guess. Being more aware of the threat, and the steps that have been taken to neutralize that threat as much as possible might make for a safer environment, but it doesn't make me feel safer in general.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Based on my previous post, I guess that's why I'm not necessarily blaming Bush. At least for this.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

You don't have to worry about terrorists when you travel by car.

This public service message brought to you by the fine folks at BP and Exxon/Mobil.

12. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Regarding "safe" ...
    Pardon me for being cynical when the Shrub can't extemporaneously come up with a suitable synonym for the word "safe." He tells us we're "safer" and expects most of mouth-breathing America to blindly agree and continue to support his administration and its questionable tactics. To me, he's being incredibly cynical to throw that word around with a smirk and a "trust me" tone.
    To me "safe" isn't about me and my family. It's about our country and way of life. And when how we end up living our lives is dictated by a bunch of towel-headed camel jockeys, that's when I don't feel safe.

Draft saved Draft deleted