1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terrible Tragedy For Balt. Sun Desker

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flying Headbutt, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've been sick to my stomach all day about this.
    My kids were home for the weekend. I took them out for dinner, took them to Sam's Club to load up their pantries, stayed up late watching movies, made Christmas plans *** if anything ever happened to either of them I'd be a wreck of such magnitude that I'd never recover.
    I feel just awful for Mr. Young and his wife.

2. BBJones

BBJones Guest

Ok, I'm sure I'll get blasted for this, but does anyone else find it odd that both parents made it out alive -- one unscathed -- but neither kid did? I mean, from posts like Moddy's, I would think you would not leave that house until you knew the kids were out and safe.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I honestly didn't think about it. I don't think I will, either. Instead, I will pray for the kids and family. Seems a better use of my time.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Lot depends on where the fire starts and where it spreads to. You can't necessarily go through a wall of intense fire to get to someone.

(Took my all to give a purely logical answer)

5. Haven't read the story, but think about it this way: Parents sleep together, separated from the children and the master bedroom is on the ground floor in a lot of houses.

6. BBJones

BBJones Guest

And I think what you said goes without saying. I thought it was our job as journalists to ask questions. Guess I was wrong. Carry on.

7. BBJones

BBJones Guest

Agreed. My parents' room was on the ground floor. They'd have burned to death making sure their kids didn't, that's all.

8. Who knows what the circumstances were. I'd venture that, for whatever reason, it was impossible for the parents to save them. Regardless, until we were told for certain that the parents somehow erred - we won't be, but hypothetically - I don't think anybody should express anything other than sorrow for their loss. We all have no information; since we all have no information, it'd be hugely inappropriate and irresponsible to casually imply that they may be indirectly responsible for the deaths of their children.

9. BBJones

BBJones Guest

It's an awful tragedy, no doubt about it. I'm sorry to raise the questions, but I can't help it.

10. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

My wife told me that the poor mother in this situation was going to be wracked with guilt and going to have spend the rest of her life feeling that people were blaming her for escaping. I told her that nobody could possibly be so callous and cold-hearted to question her survival in the face of such an unthinkable tragedy.

Apparently I was wrong. I tend to underestimate how scummy some people can be. She doesn't. That's why I work in sports and she works in news, I guess.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've known a couple of people who've gone to the Sun's copy desk, so my heart jumped in my throat at first. He wasn't one of them, but my condolences go out.

12. BBJones

BBJones Guest

I guess you're right.

And Baltimore Guy, if I'm the one you were referring to as scummy, well, I'm sorry. The reaction here is because it was someone in the business. If a member of the general community had done this, or -- gasp! -- a professional athlete, half the board would be questioning why the adults got out and the kids didn't. We're not above reproach.

Draft saved Draft deleted