1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terrible newspaper firings/layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tom Petty, Sep 3, 2012.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You're Fredrick's not-as-bright-as-he-thinks cousin, so your take on it is accepted with a grain of salt.

You don't like journalism anymore, fine. Vaya con Dios.

But if you want to point and snicker at those who still think it's a noble profession, snicker to yourself. We don't need your condescencion.

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

His take is no less valid than yours.

Good for you for remaining positive, despite every reason to look for an escape hatch.

You have no right to expect that of others.

3. jr/shotglass

You saw what I said. You didn't change any of it there. I gave up on taking advice from you about ... well, I think you know when.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

My post wasn't intended as advice, but you probably knew that.

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

There's really nothing here that is a considered response to what I actually said.

The one notation I'll make is that too many people seem to equate understanding of the perils of staying in newspapers as some kind of dislike of "journalism." The thinking that "newspapers!" are the best, and only, way to practice journalism is an idea that has long since gathered dust and been discarded by the wise.

Everyone should always do what they feel is best, for themselves, their career, and their families. It's not a bad thing to say "Hey, I feel secure where I am!" though I would argue there are few newspaper jobs where such feelings will be justified going forward.

But it's also not a bad thing to say "Hey, this latest round of layoffs seems to indicate that newspapers aren't going to stop circling the drain. Perhaps those who remain should consider doing something else before their employer forces them into it. And, by the way, the end of a newspaper career doesn't have to be the end of your professional life."

If I were someone who was in a dying industry, who repeatedly tried to stifle discussion of that situation, then had the reaper come to my own workplace and still remained obtuse every time someone mentioned getting out (or at least finding another, possibly more secure, job within the same industry) might be a good idea . . . I'm not sure I'd be able to look my family in the eye. I wouldn't with any honesty be able to tell them "I did all I could to secure our future."

But again, everyone does what they feel is right.

6. jr/shotglass

I have no problem with anything I'm doing in that regard, and you don't really have any right to comment upon it without knowing me and my situation better than you do.

7. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

I'm not sure whose posts you think you're responding to here.

Draft saved Draft deleted