1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terrible newspaper firings/layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tom Petty, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

That first sports editor is a piece of shit human being. Do people not care about their reputations? They can lay me off and kick me out the door but I always will be known as a good person. That guy? What a piece of dung. Asshole.

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

The same thing, in a way, happened to me. Friends called to congratulate me on a move away from my shift at a radio station I worked at. News to me. I got an afternoon off a few days later. Turns out they were interviewing the guy they hired. I was fired on a Friday on the last Friday of August 30 years ago, and I remember it like it was two weeks ago.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Mandatory staff meeting, 3 p.m., tomorrow. This will not end well.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Was anyone you know of told to come in at 2 p.m.?

5. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Good luck

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i thought you couldn't vote, own property or work in the united states, mark. what's up with that?

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I keep my last check stub (circa 1994) from a Virginia weekly in my wallet to this day as a reminder. Two weeks previously, the publisher assured me that my job wasn't in jeopardy.

I thought he was lying, of course, but what was the point in saying anything if you were gonna say that?

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was let go on a Friday. The previous day I had sent out an email to some co-workers announcing that my wife was pregnant with our second kid. At about 9 am the next day the ME called me and I thought it was to congratulate me. Instead he said, "Yeah, we need to meet with you at 3 p.m. today."

I said, "What is this about?" and got the "We'll talk about it when you get here..."

So I had it pretty bad, but the worst part about that is I know of 100 stories of people who got it a lot worse than I did...

9. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I know of a guy who was let go by one company, rehired by the same company a couple months later and the guy moved his family across the country (on his dime) and was let go less than six months later.

I'm surprised he didn't shoot the place up.

I won't mention the guy's name, but most on here will know who I'm talking about... A guy's wife gets out of the hospital after having a very difficult birth. The guy gets let go the day they came home and then the next day had to drive more than eight hours round trip to return his cell and laptop.

That might be the worst I've ever heard...

10. Mizzougrad96

There was a photographer at a major paper who went to his boss and told them that since his mother had died, he had been in a deep depression and wanted to take FMLA to help his family get her affairs in order and grieve. This conversation happened on a Tuesday. He made an appointment for the following Monday with HR. He was then let go that Friday and the guy hung himself two days later...

Fucking brutal shit...

11. He should have mailed them in postage due.

12. Mizzougrad96

And sprinkled with Anthrax. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted