1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terrible newspaper firings/layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tom Petty, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I have a friend of mine who was having issues with his paper and then called me up one day to tell me another friend of his had congratulated him on finding a new job. My friend emailed back and said he hadn't found one, and asked him what had made him think he had a new job. His friend sent him the job listing for the job my friend was already at.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

When my paper started layoffs five years ago, the 60-year-old woman whose cancer had just returned got sacked in the very first round. "Sorry, no job, and no more health insurance. Hey, good luck with your cancer!"

That brought it all home for me.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

A veteran photographer walked into the editor's office this summer and this transpired:

"Close the door behind you."

(closed)

"Here's your severance package."

"That's it?"

"Yes."

This was a guy who had worked faithfully and with great pride for the company for at least 15 years and was respected by the staff. He wasn't the only staffer to be treated this way. Changes in the industry suck but there could be at least some semblance of compassion from management.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Journalists make lousy managers, for the most part. That's a huge generalization, but the stories back it up. How many good managers have you had?

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

way to kill my thread, asshole. ;D

6. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I'm a cancer that way.

7. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Daz sew fuctup, dewd. Good luck.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Only the ones who were actual journalists who didn't forget where they came from.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Truth be told, most people make for lousy managers. That's why the good ones are gold.

As for worst layoff story ... a guy at one former stop was let go about six weeks after moving 1,000 miles for a reporting gig.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

how bad was he, wicked?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I interviewed for a job at a weekly once, the editor showed me around, told me she was the third editor in two years, but she thought the publisher liked her - and then she told me not to mention the sports job she was also considering me for (though I didn't apply for a sports job) when she introduced me to the others on staff (including the current sports guy).
    She offered me the job I applied for (covering county government and general news) but I declined and went back to my part-time gig at the daily I was at and ended up finishing my degree.
    I'd already been through a bad situation and didn't want another one. Besides, what would I think when she brought someone else around who was interviewing for a job?

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

The editor-in-chief at my current shop was a good one. Tough when he had to be but very approachable. Knew his journalistic stuff and wasn't above sitting down and laying out a page or two when the need arised on a couple of occasions. He started the day before I did at the paper, and supposedly replaced an EIC who was a real prick. The people there longer than me said morale was way up after this guy was on the job.

Flash forward almost nine years later. Last December, he and the publisher announced times were tough and we would proabably have to take furloughs in 2012. We waited to see how many we would have to take as management said it was still trying to figure it out. Then the publisher asked for suggestions on how to cut costs. Then in March, we found out furloughs wouldn't be necessary -- they sacked the EIC instead, and spread out his duties among the rest of the editors.

Draft saved Draft deleted