1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terrible News For One of Our Own

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 17, 2017.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

For whatever reason, I'm just now seeing this thread.

I am so very sorry, MH. How you were able to hold it together to post updates is beyond me. I pray I'd have that level of strength in such an unspeakable situation. That bench is just a wonderful tribute.

I truly hope you are able to find some sort of comfort as the days pass. My best to you and yours.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Thought I would also share a picture of the headstone we had made for them for one of three sites where their remains are buried. This one is in Fort Collins.

Partial remains are also buried in upstate New York, where Jeff is from and where he still has family. A third site will be in southwest Colorado, where my mom's parents are buried and where my parents will be buried.

We will have a small ceremony on July 5 down there. It would have been Jen's and Jeff's 15th wedding anniversary.

The jagged top of the headstone was to mimic the mountains west of Fort Collins. Above the "AK" mimics Horsetooth Rock where Jen spent a lot of time hiking.

bauder5.JPG

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  3. MileHigh

Hi all. Today is one year since the crash. Several have reached out to me on this anniversary. I had a couple of games in between the stream of tears and phone calls with family members and a drive up to Fort Collins this morning. Tomorrow I think will be just as rough as it's the day we found out and the circumstances.

Just wanted to say again, after going through this entire thread, thank you to all who reached out, who posted. It means a lot. It's been a tumultuous year as you could imagine. But again, thanks.

Tweener, Alma, Chef2 and 20 others like this.
  4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Having siblings, with kids, in almost precisely the same age groups, this story hit hard.

I can't add anything to what everyone else has already said. Remember the best of them; that part lives forever.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I can only hope that I would show a fraction of the dignity and resilience you have over the course of this tragedy, MileHigh.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Just seeing this since Saturday.
    MH: You have been the epitome of strength and courage throughout this awful ordeal. To go what you've gone through in this unspeakable tragedy really says a lot about you and your character.
    May God Bless You and your family.

Vombatus, ChrisLong and MileHigh like this.
  7. MileHigh

Thank you all for your comments here and in private. I really do appreciate them all. Tough weekend. Went to the grave on Sunday and someone had left an open bag of Swedish Fish, which was Jen's favorite candy. I saw it as I pulled up and lost it immediately.

I'm hoping the adage that the first year is the toughest is the truth. Working to get through the 29th (anniversary of the funeral). Overall, hanging in there.

Seriously, grateful to all of you here.

Dyno, Chef2 and Donny in his element like this.
  8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

These fucking dust bunnies.

MileHigh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted