1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terrible News For One of Our Own

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry, MH.

MileHigh likes this.
  2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear this man.
    Thoughts and prayers.

MileHigh likes this.
  3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Words seem inadequate but please accept my most sincere condolences.

MileHigh likes this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

To echo others, don't know what to say other than deepest condolences. Unfathomable.

MileHigh likes this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

All:

Thank you so much for your kind words and compassion. They mean a lot. even if you don't know what to say, acknowledging is helpful

It's a tragedy we still are trying to come to grips with. It's like a nuclear bomb has gone off in the middle of our family.

My mom texted me Saturday morning as I was going to work some games. I dropped everything and high-tailed it to Glenwood Springs, about three hours west of Denver, all the while communicating with other family members in the Denver area, California and my parents, who made the original call to police in Moab on Friday night when they didn't arrive. My sister's family was going down there to camp with them for the weekend and go to Arches National Park.

We've met with the coroner twice and last night with the NTSB investigator who flew in from Wisconsin. They've been great in answering all of our questions.

A more highly skilled team of coroners across the state is forming this morning and returning to the mountain to retrieve the remains of the bodies and their dog because it's widespread and quite destructive.

Myself, parents, two brothers, sister, two uncles, an aunt and some cousins are still in Rifle, about 20 miles west of Glenwood. The coroner and NTSB will meet with us either tonight or tomorrow to let us know how the recovery and investigation go today, then we will return to Denver to begin funeral plans.

My brother-in-law owned a pretty big plumbing company in Fort Collins with nearly 100 employees and my sister volunteered at the kids' school. So they are well known in the city and the outpouring from there and across the state has been just incredible.

Again, thank you all. I've been around these parts for more than a decade, and there are highs and lows. But your compassion speaks to how this place really is deep down.

Regards,
    Chuck

EDIT: Some have inquired about setting up a memorial fund for funeral expenses and so forth. We do not need that.

Jeff, my brother-in-law, built up a plumbing business in Fort Collins into a large and profitable operation. The family has several rental properties as well as personal residences in Steamboat Springs and Baja. There are also large life insurance policies for Jeff and Jen. There might even be ones for Addie and Bennie.

But again, thank you. Our family is very lucky to be able to deal with the financial aspects of this. We know many others out there wouldn't be and couldn't imagine the strain if that was piled on top of what we already are enduring.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Just catching up here and can only echo everyone else's thoughts. Thinking of you and your whole family, MileHigh.

MileHigh likes this.
  7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Awful and unimaginable news. Our deepest condolences.

MileHigh likes this.
  8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear this @MileHigh. I can't even imagine.

MileHigh likes this.
  9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Amazing you were able to write this, MH. Incredible resilience we should all be in awe of.

10. agateguy

agateguy Member

@MileHigh I'm very sorry to hear about this. You and your and the deceased family's loved ones have my deepest sympathy.

MileHigh likes this.
  11. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Praying for you and your family, MileHigh.

MileHigh likes this.
  12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I offer my condolences and sympathy, but there are no words that can help someone cope with something like this.
    I hope that your extended family has each other to lean on and to help you navigate such tragic and heartbreaking loss.
    I am so sorry.

MileHigh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted