1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terrelle Pryor's 40 speed: Someone call Snopes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And that's actually exaggerating. Rice's best 40 time at the NFL combine was a 4.71. That's right, the greatest reciever in history was 4.7 40 man. And he shall forever be Exhibit A when pointing out how meaningless 40 times can sometimes be.

2. On the flip side there were lots of guys who ran like the wind and sucked. Like James Jett.

3. mb

mb Active Member

There's two guys on that list I believe: Bo and Darrell Green

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

40 times are often suspect, a tool for p.r. use. or just an inaccurate portrayal of how a man plays.

jerry rice, of course, is the classic example of a guy who never timed well -- i think his combine time was in the high 4.5's or higher -- while laveranues coles is on ther aforementioned list with utterly inhuman times. he came to the nfl with the rep for being Trouble with that cap T and ungodly fast.

neither turned out to be true. he's never been anything beyond a possession-receiver type.

so proceed with caution on 40-time nonsense. i mean, obviously pryor is plenty fast. but judge his speed more on how he plays than how he allegedly times. i mean, was the track super fast? was there a wind at his back? if it was an indoor time, what was the surface? etc. etc. etc.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Don Bebe a 4.12?

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

that's an exaggeration. but the point is right on.

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Hmm. I would.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the NFL's all-time leading rusher had a pretty sad time in the 40 as well.

9. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Like what has been said, you have to see Pryor at field level to understand how fast he it. He looks like he is jogging from up high, but down low it's amazing how fast he's moving.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I believe it was worse than that, I know I've read several times that Rice failed to crack 4.7 at the combine, and a quick google search seemed to confirm that (although, admittedly through questionable wiki type sources).

Emmett Smith, btw, is another guy who had woeful 40 times. If the all time leading runner and the all time leading reciever didn't need blazing 40 speed, you gotta wonder how important it actually is.

11. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Like Billy Beane...could care less about the stats or physical attributes, just wanted to know if the player could play the game. 40 speeds are overrated. Shuttle times. Reps with 185 pounds. Etc. Really, how did these things become so important to the point where a player's draft stock could rise or fall dramatically based on how he did in these pointless tests?

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

indeed. emmitt was a 4.65. i still recall rice being in the 4.6's -- very slow -- which is why he fell behind eddie brown and al toon, who was no speedster himself. a great player, too, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted