1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terrelle Pryor's 40 speed: Someone call Snopes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Aug 12, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Sorry I should have clarified. I think all 40 times reported for college are garbage. The only 40 times I will believe are ones which are electronically timed or run on a sanctioned track in front of a credible source or two. None of this behind doors garbage. What is that?

Furthermore, why do they run 40s without pads and helmets and not in football spikes?

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I don't know where you got this from, but I'd bet the farm that nearly all of these "unofficial claims" are utter bullshit. Tell me what these guys ran at the NFL combine under regulated and monitored conditions, that's the only time worth paying attention to. These urban legends about what guys allegedly ran behind closed doors (probably with their buddy monitoring the clock) are nearly all BS.

And I don't believe any human being has ever legitimately run in the 4.0 to 4.1 range, and won't until someone does it under properly monitored and controlled conditions. Hell, the fastest sprinters in thet world only have 40 splits in 4.4s. Sorry, but if guys like Usain Bolt and Tyson Gay aren't getting below 4.4, there's no way I'm buying that some college football player's running below 4.2.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I got it from a Google search of "fastest 40 times." They may very well be bullshit, but I do remember hearing about Alexander Wright's time at the time it supposedly happened a few years ago.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

No one is running under a 4.1.

Sorry, it just ain't happening.

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

this might be the most useless thread ever. but it's entertaining.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Jerry Rice ran a 4.5 before he was drafted. Enough said.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

I thought Galloway's 40-time was rubbish when I heard about it several years ago.

Sub 4.1?

Shenanigans

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah but the knock on Rice coming out of college was that he was slow anyway.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A person can have a once-in-a-lifetime burst of adrenalin, clock a fast time during a hand-timed workout, enrich himself by millions of dollars and never amount to anything in the NFL.

Part of the reason why there are so many high draft pick busts.

That being said, what Bolt or Gay can do in the 40 is of no relevance. A 40 time is all about the start (that's why 40 times average more than a second per 10 meters and 100 times average less). Someone who gets a perfect start can turn in a time 0.2 or 0.3 faster than a quicker player who didn't time his start perfectly.

The reliance people place on a 40 time is mind-boggling.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

That's the point. He was supposed to be slow but how often was he caught from behind?

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Oh, come on. You know your pants get tight at the idea of Pryor running a 4.33. :)

12. I thought, correct me if I am wrong here, you got 10 yards or so to get up to speed for a 40 time. Not a cold start.

Draft saved Draft deleted