1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terrelle Pryor's 40 speed: Someone call Snopes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Aug 12, 2009.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

The Olympic sprinter's 40 time was 4.42.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

In pads, pulling a parachute.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe by 4.33 he means he ran the 40 on April 33rd.

All 40 times are pretty much BS, by the way.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Put this in the I don't believe I'm writing this category but I agree with Ace.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

ALL 40 TIMES ARE embellished. It's become a joke.

Why do people not realize this!

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I've heard of guys running 4.3s or below, but they're always players who weigh under 200 lbs that play reciever, rb or or db. I've never heard of a QB that stands over 6'6" and weighs nearly 240 lbs doing it. If the time is legit, then that would make Pryor one of the most freakish combinations of size and speed on the planet.

However, 40 times in team workouts are usually exagerrated and my guess is this one is too. Funny how all these guys that are reported to have run 4.2s and 4.3s in their team workouts can never reproduce that feat at the NFL combines.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Agreed, Stoney.

But I disagree with those who think ALL 40 times are garbage. Most, but not all.

NFL execs don't draft a guy because they THINK he can run a 4.2. Too big and too expensive a gamble. Too much hangs on these 40 times. That, I think is garbage.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd say 99 percent of published 40 times are. If an NFL scout clocks a guy at a workout running a 4.2, he's not going to run to the papers to report it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

In the Olympics runners go at the sound of the gun, at the combines the players go on their own start right? From what I understand the timing system begins when the player first moves. Is this correct?

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Uncanny. The joke I wanted to make, then the response I wanted to make when I realized the joke was already made. I have nothing.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I'd run a 3.8 on water if I had Tebow's Virgin Mary waiting for me at the finish.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Would you settle for a Born Again Virgin?

Draft saved Draft deleted