1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terrelle Pryor tears himself away from college life

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

John Thompson III just choked on a piece of toast somewhere.

But seriously, 850 grand represents almost 10 percent of an athletic budget at a MAC school. Nothing to sneeze at.

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Don't be surprised if he's eventually charged. Sure, it might be small potatoes in terms of dollars, but Pryor's a high-profile guy who apparently broke a whole mess of other rules. Some junior-level federal prosecutor could earn a major promotion by winning a case like this.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Obstruction of justice charges would not surprise me either against Tressel.

Got to thinking about taxes. I wonder if colleges who give players championship rings are sending out 1099's. if not they should be.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'd think that they wouldn't, because then the athletes would be considered independent contractors, or employees, which would open up a lot of headaches for the NCAA and the schools.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Seems like one of those things where everyone is looking the other way.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, imagine the can of worms that's opened if the Heisman Trophy winner has to pay taxes for the trophy.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Schools don't pay but athletic departments do.

The costs of athletic scholarships are part of every DI and DII department's budget.

The ignorance of the college athletic world around here astounds me at times.

8. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

MAC schools make 400-800k from the big conference schools they play. When I was at Ball State we FOI'ed all the contracts every year and I talked to the AD about them and he said they are typical contracts for MAC schools.

As far as bowl games go, teams in the MAC almost always lose money going. The cost of travel is huge. You not only have the team but the cheerleaders and the band as well because the bowls require it. They also are given a bunch of tickets that must be sold to their fans. The ones that don't sell must be paid for by the school. The only school that makes a profit is when CMU goes to the Motor City Bowl. It's close so all the travel costs are lessened and they sell a bunch of tickets.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If I were Pryor, I'd also be expecting to hear from the IRS.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That would be great. Did Reggie Bush's folks hear from the IRS?

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I agree stop the charade.

I think its disingenuous to criticize certain players because they fail to take advantage of the college education offered. Its clear that they were never equipped to succeed from the start. Look at the minimum entrance requirements. Their admission requirements are in many cases several rungs below the normal requirements; and you expect them to actually graduate? No way. Now heap on the fact that they are essentially taking on a full-time job as well and its a self-fulfilling prophecy. Now for those D1 athletes who do graduate? Amazing and hats off to you; because when you were spending 50 hours a week at practice and lifting, etc., I was enjoying student life and I still had a hard time graduating.

12. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

The Saskatchewan Roughriders got his rights.

Draft saved Draft deleted