1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terrelle Pryor tears himself away from college life

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Jun 7, 2011.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure there'd be enough college presidents that would allow something that would so denigrate the college as an education brand

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I don't have a solution, so la-la-la-la, fingers-in-ears, STATUS QUO! ROLL TIDE!

[​IMG]

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You mean, as opposed to a sensible answer like blowing up the entire existing system?

Would you be borrowing Acme dynamite from Wile E. for that?

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

This thread is part of the problem.

5. dooley_womack1

When you have something more than snark and ad hominem, I'll have the discussion. You're usually better than that. You at least have an idea of what a university is

And I thnk the CFA would lose luster once schools realized that MAc/Sun Belt/FCS foes would be out the window. No more scheduling 3-4 nc wins, unless Duke, Vandy and Indiana had openings for you the same year

6. Double Down

Shotty, I like the you and dools, I swear, but it comes down to this: You want to continue supporting a broken, corrupted system because:

1. Boo hoo, it's too hard to fix.

2. Yeah amateur football! More please!

I played college football. I saw the stupid factory up close. Supporting the status quo might make you happy on Saturday, but it isn't going to last forever, as much as some people want to shove it all back in a 1950s bottle. ("Value your education, lads! Now excuse me why I drink another $300 brandy and play golf at Pebble Beach with a BSC chairman!" said the college athletic director/president/booster.)

Be part of the solution. Don't just complain the problem is too hard to fix, so fuck it. Roll Tide.

7. dooley_womack1

Ok, a system is supposedly broken that makes money hand over fist, helps dozens of young men make millions, helps hundreds of other young mn have a far better shot than they would as non-athletes, is intensely followed and is facing no clamor for change except for pundits. Cam Newton not being slammed is the dysfunction, not Terrelle Pryor being slammed

8. Double Down

You're right, bro. The system is perfect, as evidenced by recent national championship winners Auburn, USC and Ohio State, among others. Think of all the good it does in the name of pretend virtue! We should fix nothing, less it briefly interrupt our constant need for weekend/holiday entertainment. Roll Tide.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

It's Joe Bauserman, assholes!! Not Joe Palooka!

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I won't argue about all the problems of big-time college athletics, which seem to be getting worse by the day, but what's so difficult about getting up every morning and doing something other than trying to figure out how you can scam the system?

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Because you are fitting a square peg in a round hole. Many big time college athletes are not prepared, nor even have the desire to take college classes. Yet goddammit, this is the way we've done it for 75 years. Even though its a system that could not be more broken.

I love the argument about how valuable the college education is, in lieu of actual money. Funny, when a hotshot college basketball or football coach, fresh off a good season, decides to break his contract, goes interviewing at other schools - he is offered millions of DOLLARS - why not give his pay in the form of a full scholarship for his Masters or doctorate?? If its such a great deal, pay him tuition for his doctorate.

When the coaches, off the sweat of the players, get better jobs, its always in the form of straight cash, homie. If the education and tuition and room and board is such a great fucking deal, then offer it to the coaches. Lets see how far that gets.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I .... can't ... resist ... chiming in on this thread. Lord knows how many times in the last near four-years I've ranted on about college athletics. Eh, let's do it again.

1. Scholarships are worth something. That is, if the athletes are fully free to use it. In the sports other than football and men's hoops, we know that's the case. Women athletes graduate at higher rates than athletes, for instance.

But please don't tell me that they're worth something in the big two sports. Especially basketball, where a team that makes the Final Four of the NCAAs essentially misses a full month of classes. Those tutors are only there to perpetuate the system because they are not regular students. A regular student doesn't have to spend three days a week on the road because ESPN decides they want to televise their game.

Not to mention, what do you think a coach would say if an athlete said they had to miss practice to attend class? Yeah, I thought so.

2. Stipends. The schools, conferences and NCAA are making money hand-over-fist. Yeah, a lot of schools are losing money. Maybe it's time they start ... sticking to a budget, perhaps? D-III schools do just fine in funding their sports even though they draw 5,000 to their football games. And yeah, coaches are making too much money. Like Spurrier said, cut down their pay, and use it for the stipends, for all scholarship athletes.

3. Money. Players ought to be able to capitalize on their name. Coaches can, so why can't players? Autograph signings, endorsements, free cars, let them have at it. This of course means the gymnast won't receive it. That'll at least help them avoid Title IX.

Now, you might say that could hurt competitive balance, with the Butlers not being able to compete. I don't see why that would be the case. The superstar athlete already isn't going to Butler.

4. "They're already getting plenty for being on the football team!" So, why can't they get more? Let them.

5. Hypocritical rules. Coaches can break contracts and jump teams. Yet players have to sit out one year, or even two if they don't get released from their scholarship. Why is this, again?

Draft saved Draft deleted