1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terrelle Pryor tears himself away from college life

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Jun 7, 2011.

1. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

That's not an NCAA rule.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Do you think that NCAA rules should be consistent with Title IX?

3. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

Sure. I wasn't arguing that they could or couldn't pay the players. I was just confused by the assertion that the NCAA would be prevented from doing something by an NCAA rule.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, that'll be enough to hold off any lawsuits when male football & hoops players get paid and female athletes don't.

Good Fucking Lord.

5. Armchair_QB

There is no NCAA "rule" that says "All athletes must be treated equally."

But in the real world the rest of us live in, the reality is that the minute the NCAA announces football & men's hoops players are getting paid is the same minute the Women's Sports Foundation unleashes its stable of lawyers. The NCAA would lose that case in a Cumberland-Georgia Tech rout.

Not sure how it works in the world you live in though.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm not ignoring your laundry list of compensation. But you know for a fact it's not market value. You want to protect a broken system -- a corrupt, shady, broken and dishonest system -- ultimately because you like watching games. Durr durr durr, Roll Tide. That's what it comes down to. Of course fans like you prefer the status quo. The cheap labor and phony integrity is awesome.

I'd like to see the entire NCAA blown up. It's a an absolute sham and I can't wait to see the whole fucking thing crumble.

As for the stupid Tennessee point, again, you're pretending Tennessee's program and Ohio State's program don't have 50 years of inertia behind them. How is SMU drawing these days? Pretty rough when you take away all the good players and you don't have a ton of history to sustain it, isn't it? The only way your argument works is if Joe Palooka, Future Chemist plays QB for the Vols for 50 years and they still grow their program out of good old fashion Volunteer pride and eventually 100,000 people show up to watch them go 5-6 out of a sense of obligation. How's that working out at Vanderbilt? Looks like an impressive 21,000 showed up to watch them get whipped by Wake Forrest for their season finale.

People want to see winning. They don't give a fuck if someone like Pryor goes to class or not.

7. Armchair_QB

What's market value?

Are you paid what you're worth? Is anybody?

8. Armchair_QB

Hell, I'll ask a better question.

How much would Terrelle Pryor have been worth to the NFL as an 18-year-old high school grad with no college experience?

And how much is he worth now?

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

OK, that's interesting, DD your assertion that college football is not for fans, and that fans are the equivalent of retards. Shall I call you jock-sniffer? I would kind of figure it's all about fans. It not that, the players can play in an empty dome, for all I give a fuck. Anyhoo, for 90 of 100 players, the stuff I listed is a mile above market value. For about 9 of 100, the stuff I listed is about right. So there's 1 of 100 that has to wait two years to get their millions. Boo-fucking hoo.

But this is all academic masturbatory exercise. Players will never, ever, ever get paid by colleges above all the things they already get. And Title IX will prevent it even if the NCAA wanted to. And 99.99 percent of players don't have the odd desire for some workers paradise that you seem to have.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Both were willing participants in whatever was being covered up. God, Terrell could have done so much more with himself as he entered adulthood!
    Clarett I'm not sure about.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

No, there isn't that kind of wording. But the regulations they have passed since 1990 (when the 20-hour rule went into affect) have made it so.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If, as some have suggested, are correct. The NCAA is about to have a seismic event.

Tony Barnhart, for one, has written that when the TV contract expires in a couple of years, the BCS conferences and the four indies, will pack up and start what he called the College Football Association.

The mid-majors and the powerhouse I-AAs would get grouped together in the new Division I.

Players in the CFA would get a full scholarship, that would also include pocket money in the form of a stipend. The same thing students who are on top flight academic scholarships get.

Players wouldn't get fair market value, obviously, but a stipend would go a long way.

Title IX wouldn't be an issue if women on athletic scholarships also got a full ride deal that included a stipend.

The stipends would be relatively small but could be generated by new revenue.

Alabama drew 93,000 to its spring football game. Twenty five bucks a ticket gets you $2.3 million, with 250 scholarship athletes at 'Bama (durr durr Roll Tide) that gives them each roughly $1,000 a month for nine months of school in addition to tuition to their scholarship.

Throw in some basketball games where ticket revenue would go to fund the stipend program, pool the money at the conference level so they can spread it equally among the schools, even to those that don't get 93,000 at spring football games, and you got it paid for.

Draft saved Draft deleted