1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terrelle Pryor tears himself away from college life

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Jun 7, 2011.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

If university's don't want to pay athletes more than their scholarships, fine. But how anybody is OK with them limiting what they can make off their own name is beyond me. How is that right?

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

No they don't draw 95,000, because with Palooka Joe, they go 2-10 for 10 straight years. I've seen you and others make this argument here previously -- "The people care about the institutions and the programs, not the prima donna players!" -- and it's absurd. Ohio State did not become a national power in a vacuum. It signed the equivalent of Terrelle Pryor for 25 years.

You want to fix college athletes? Split the thing in two permanently. Phony puritanism and amateurism goes in one division, get their scholarships and live up to antiquated rules, and independent contractors like Terrell Pryor go in the other division. They get paid a percentage of the revenue the conference generates, an equal share, so one one can whine about "How do you pay the third-string center! [/fainting couch!]"

We'll see which group people pay to watch.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

OK, well then, if Ohio State goes bad for 25 straight years, we'll revisit the issue. And as we saw when Tennessee struggled for a few years, you're probably not correct.

And the NCAA has utterly no reason why it has to set up anything for independent contractors. None. It is a place for student-athletes, not athletes. If enough Terrelle Pryors make a stink, let them get together and start a D-league if college allegedly holds nothing for them.

The system as it is makes money with the rules it has, and the fans love it. And guess what, 99.9 percent of the players love all the things I listed earlier, the things that you ignore because it counters your argument that players are not compensated.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They can work in the offseason.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

NOW you did it. Dools had the big one right there in mid-argument.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Some of you are also forgetting something: the NCAA has, by the rules, created all student-athletes equal. Football players and water polo players and girls track can't practice more than 20 hours per week. There are no more "jock" dorms. The training tables are open to all athletes. As a result, you can't pay just the football or basketball players. I've already had a prominent attorney in my town, who is a graduate of a national championship contender SEC school and a die-hard college football fan, tell me that the NCAA, a conference or a school cannot legally give football players a stipend and not give the volleyball players a stipend. If anyone tries, the lawyers will be lining up to sue on behalf of the non-revenue producing athletes -- he among them, as much has he loves his football team.

So there's that. People crying for the athletes to be paid need to have a reality check.

7. Armchair_QB

Of course the people screaming that football and basketball players should be paid always dismiss this reality. You pay one you have to pay them all. Anyone who thinks there wouldn't be a lawsuit over this is a fucking idiot.

8. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

If the issue is an NCAA rule, why can't they just change the rule?

9. Armchair_QB

Because they can't afford to pay every single scholarship athlete at every single school. What part of that is so hard for people to fucking understand?

10. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

I'll try again.

The post a few up said that there's an NCAA rule that makes all athletes have to be treated the same, and that's why they can't pay the football players without paying everyone.

So why can't they just change that rule?

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Suggest that you bone up on title IX

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

This.

Draft saved Draft deleted