1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terrelle Pryor tears himself away from college life

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

He'll go down as one of the greatest players in Toronto Argonauts history.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

You have to love the philosophical stance that goes "I know the system is totally fucked and makes billions off of thousandaires, but ... Roll Tide, baby."

I want more Cam Newtons and Tyrell Pryors in the future. The more kids who laugh in the face of an antiquated, phony system, the sooner the house of cards crumbles. I can't understand why it's only ok to cheer for Newton or Pryor if you swallow the fantasy they're representing the virtuous ideals of amateur athletics, but that stance is clearly important to a whole lot of people. Most of them need to grow up and realize the 1950s ain't walking through that door.

3. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

That was the deal made to let him and the others play in the Sugar Bowl. Ohio State should immediately forfeit and hand over everything it got from the Sugar Bowl, and the Big 10 should too. Those millions should go back into the pool for other schools. (The W doesn't matter. Buckeyes won on the field, even if they were a bunch of cheating, lying ineligibles.)

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

--$120,000-$160,000 in scholarship, room, board and books
    --Untold thousands in Pell Grants.
    --Accommodations and tutoring services regular students can only dream of.
    --An edge in getting summer jobs.
    --Networking opportunities for future employment regular students can only dream of.
    --Adulation out the ass.

The hell football players aren't compensated. They are compensated richly. And the system, in general, is fine. The widespread wonderment about why Newton and Auburn didn't get slammed reflects that people generally like the system in principle. And again, this ain't about making sure that Kent State's wedge-buster gets paid. This is about the .001 percent of players who will soon get rich getting extra riches; this isn't an argument for egalitarianism in the least. Colleges are not in the business of running a pro league.

Now, if Bobby Collins' system, with hookers and Cadillacs being freely offered additionally, is your idea of how you want college football to be, fine. That is what big-time college football will be if the rules go out the window.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Pryor had nothing to gain by sticking around, unless (gasp) he really wanted to attend school on a free ride.

He was suspended for nearly half the season, had a new coach coming in and a reputation like mud. Better to cut bait and move on, unless, again, one values an education.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I don't know if I'm prepared to say the system is fine.

But I do know that if the system isn't fine, you don't hope for more people to take advantage of it. That doesn't necessarily bring about change. Why would you expect the people responsible for the current status quo to fix it now?

7. Double Down

Bring me a fainting couch, Dooley. I can't imagine how we'll survive if college athletics becomes the denizen of gamblers and whores.

8. dooley_womack1

Be flip if you wish, but you know that's what will happen if the rules go out the window. What do you propose to remedy injustice to the .001 percent who will soon become rich anyway? And are you going to deny they're compensated when I just listed many ways in which they are compensated?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's also back when Tressel had something on him... that's out the window now too

10. Double Down

Dools, are 11-year-old kids in Taiwan compensated for sewing together soccer balls? I'm sure they earn a fair wage, and Nike toasts to their integrity.

Why do you care at all about athletic departments and old white dudes sustaining a gravy train? Inertia? Nostalgia?

Professional sports are cold and cruel but at least they're honest.

11. dooley_womack1

Comparing a college free ride to a sweatshop is a good way to lose an argument by default. See also: not countering specific points.

12. dooley_womack1

Oh, and Ohio State, with Terrelle Pryor at QB, drew 95,000 to the Horseshoe. Ohio State, with some palooka at quarterback, will draw 95,000 to the Horseshoe. Why does Pryor deserve better than the same deal the palooka gets?

Draft saved Draft deleted