1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terrelle Pryor tears himself away from college life

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Jun 7, 2011.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You really should be the young man's agent, because I can't imagine that even his current agent could spin like you have on this page.

Terrelle Pryor played fast and loose with the system that is in place, whether you agree with the system or not.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Define 'fast and loose'. I am game for a half hour.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with him leaving early, nor am I surprised he did.

However, he knew the rules when he signed up and decided they didn't apply to him.

He'll get his money but he better save it because he'll only get one contract.

4. alex.riley21

alex.riley21 Member

From what I understood, there can be a supplemental draft. No one was applied for it yet though... well, until now apparently.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I hope Cleveland drafts him.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would say the favorite would be Nebraska, unless Russell Wilson goes to Wisconsin, in which case, it could be the Badgers.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Stop it already. One study I saw showed that the value of a football scholarship, in terms of tuition, room, board, medical care, food, nutrition and fitness assistance, travel, etc. is worth about $40,000 -- if these twerps care to use that to their advantage and get a degree. They're not impoverished slaves. Oh, and did I mention Pell Grant money for low-income kids?

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And in capitalism, there's no law that says one should be compensated commensurate with what one brings in. It's funny how many conservatives become commies when it comes to college athletics.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

There are student loans as well. Sorry, but any player on a "full" scholarship has federal financial aid options available to get some money in their pocket for personal expenses. I know there is a gap between the value of the scholarship and cost of attendance, but plenty of non-athletes make it work.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Then let them "work" in the offseason like non athletes. Why can't they make money off their own name?

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'd have more sympathy for Pryor's financial plight if he'd traded his memorabilia for bread and milk rather than tattoos.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Draft saved Draft deleted