1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terrelle Pryor tears himself away from college life

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe, maybe not. The scholarship and roster limits would remain the same. And the second and third-tier players would have to weigh being a backup at State U and getting $5K a year from a booster or getting some free dinners as a starter for MAC U.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The fear of the availability of unlimited moneygushers at the career Top 25ers is horrifying to contemplate, especially given the history of many of them of buying up everything and anything they can get away with (or not! . . . ).

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

it is complete bullshit that an adult is not allowed to make money off their own name so that their may be parity in college sports.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There is also the small point that nobody is forcing these kids to play college football or basketball.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Their scholarship is in exchange for their service as football players. It shouldn't stop them from making money that doesn't come from the University.

Do students on Acedemic scholarships have these restrictions?

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I see no problem in them being offered money. Doesn't cost the University a dime which seems to be peoples big issue with these guys being paid.

Why is it a strawman? Both are on scholarships, only one is restrictive.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I mean this in all honesty, why should we care if a booster is willing to pay somebody 200000 grand. Why should we prohibit somebody from making that kind of money?

A lot of them aren't that good and won't make that money later. You're right about them focusiing on their education, but I see no reason why they can't do both.

You keep comapring them to regular students, they aren't. They have a specific talent that .005 percent of the population has. So the regualr student that goes into debt argument does not wash.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I have no doubt what you say will happen but who are we to restrict that? Lets not pretend this is done in the best interest of the kids. This is done to protect the money that the NCAA can make off these kids. If the University isn't paying it shouldn't be anybodys concern if they are making money off boosters or whoever.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

How do you know they'll all blow their $200K? And if they do, at least they'll have the opportunity to do so. Now, they can't even get paid the $200K.

As the NCAA says in those ridiculous ads, very few of the athletes are going pro. Most of them are going to need that degree. And most of them won't even make $200K. There are only a certain number of Pryors and Newtons out there.

I'd think for most football and basketball players, they'd see maybe a few thousand dollars, plus some restuarant meals. What's so wrong with that?

As far as academics go, the NCAA can't complain. They have football teams traveling across the country for mid-week games, and basketball teams miss weeks of school at a time in March. If the NCAA was truly serious, they'd cut back on when schools can play games, and restrict long-distance travel (more than a day away), to weekends. But nope. ESPN says they want Florida State to play Virginia Tech. FSU flies up on Wednesday, plays Thursday, gets home Friday. Three days of school, missed.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It's not just PRETENDING that it's done in the best interest of the kids. If you take an 18-year-old who has struggled with money his entire life and hand him $200K, you're not necessarily doing him a service. You may be signing that youngster up for a load of trouble.

Who are we to restrict that? I guess we're the same people who try to keep drunk drivers from behind the wheel. There IS some responsibility in life to look out for others' best interests.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That is an awful, awful comparison.

Is it illegal to make 200000 grand as an 18 year old? What about the kid that won't be fucked up by the money and does alright with it.

We are so concerned about these poor boys future that the minute they aren't useful to the University their scholarships aren't renewed.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yeah, that wasn't a good comparison. I apologize.

I'll still say that it's a rare young person who will handle sudden wealth without a hitch.

Draft saved Draft deleted