1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terrelle Pryor down to TWO schools! Ann Arbor and Columbus froth at the mouth!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=786954

THIS is what heavy recruiting coverage hath wrought. A month after signing day, this kid is down to two schools, and we get a big story on it.

I hate recruiting coverage. Cover signing day, squeeze in stories if your local college's top recruit just won a major championship or award, throw in the college choice in prep features. But this constant "Where is the 17-year-old going to school?!?!?!??!!!!" crap is absolutely nauseating.

And: finding out where a teenager is going to school does not a breaking news reporter make.

But then, we all already knew that.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

If you hate it so much, piotr, why are you checking that site and why did you start this thread.

It's easy to ignore this shit.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm pretty sure the story Piotr linked is the lead story on Yahoo.

Hard to ignore it in that case.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

No it isn't. Just don't read it. Like turning off ESPN. Real easy.

Plus, I don't see it on Yahoo.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not impossible to read, but impossible to avoid (if you have Yahoo email and all that) and I can't say I blame him for ranting about it. It IS a big fucking joke.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

BYH is correct.

spnited, I do ignore it, and I certainly never seek it out, even when it comes to college teams I am interested in. But it's the lead story on yahoo.com right now, which is largely what led to my bitter posting of said news story. Yes, on one hand, you say "Ignore it," and that is good advice. My response to that, though, is that it bothers me that this is yet another thing that is not truly important journalism, but some still cover it with breathless articles about the color of necktie heralded recruit was seen wearing on his prom night.

It's not journalism. And the linked story is all Recruiting Analyst Dork babbling on about the kid. I hate Recruiting Analyst Dork, but he is a nationwide phenomenon now.

Recruiting is overhyped, and but a small part of what goes into making a winning college program. If there's one thing I learned from the Mike Davis era, it's that.

I don't think it belongs as the lead story on yahoo's news site, which I read daily.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Where on Yahoo?

http://sports.yahoo.com/

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Didn't he have it narrowed down to Ohio State and Michigan a month or two ago? This was before the press conference he called to announce his college choice, the one which he chose not to call off even though he hadn't made up his mind.

Yes, you can ignore it. I see it mostly because I read the Pittsburgh papers online and because Yahoo keeps pumping up Rivals.com crap. But the process and the coverage has definitely gotten out of hand with this kid. No question, a lot of it goes on the people who are overdoing the coverage. But some of it also goes on the kid and the adults around him, who seem to be intent on milking this thing for every headline they can get.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Should be under the featured links, SP.

I think it rotates, but it's been the featured, uhh, feature story the last three times I've checked.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

It does not show up on my yahoo at all. I guess I have a bulit-in bullshit filter.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Re: Terrelle Pryor down to TWO schools! Ann Arbor and Columbus froth at the mout

Not the sports page. The main Yahoo page.

www.yahoo.com

Although I gotta agree with spnited here, it is very easy to ignore. Just don't click on it.

Just like a lot of people do with about 80 percent of the threads on here, don't click on them.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Now I see it..halfway down the page.
    Guess I mustn't have noticed earlier because I don't give a shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted