1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terrell Suggs tears Achilles, out for the year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, May 3, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

One of these things is not like the others.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Wainright finished third in the Cy Young voting two years before he missed 2011 and second the year before he missed 2011.

I'd say he's right on par with Suggs, no?

3. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

To be honest, I thought the Ravens were the third-best team in their division with Suggs.

For all the credit Ozzie gets for great drafts, the 2010 clunker is going to haunt the Ravens for years.

The first four picks:
    Sergio Kindle: Yikes
    Terrence Cody: Well, he's OK.
    Ed Dickson: Wait. He's not Gronk.
    Dennis Pitta: Wait. He's not Aaron Hernandez.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Suggs was on pace as a borderline, probably in, HOFer before this injury. I cannot say the same for Wainright. Buster Posey might have been a better example from baseball.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Good thing for the Ravens that Upshaw slipped all the way to 35 in the draft last week. He played the same position at Alabama as Suggs did for the Ravens.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Kindle is terrible, and will haunt them for five years or more. Cody is average. But Dickson and Pitta would be really good players if they had Brady feeding them the ball. Gronk and Hernandez would be a lot closer to regular dudes with Flacco and Cam Cameron trying to get them touches. Cincy is just as likely to go 7-9 as they are 12-4, so I'd say its a little hyperbolic to say they're better than the Ravens. (Dalton definitely has the potential to be better than Flacco, but Cincy's running game remains suspect, and Benson will only get slower with another year under his belt.) The Steelers are the Steelers. Even though the Ravens swept them and made them look like punks in Week 1, they still have advantages at offensive line and quarterback. Steelers fans here have such a habit of overrating their team though. (outofplace excluded.) Their running game is terrible and their defense is old. At some point, you have to stop asking the quarterback to pull games out of his ass every week by scrambling around and getting rid of the ball right as he's drilled by a linebacker.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That's why this year's draft for them was so good.

9. Double Down

Just make sure you hide your erection with a terrible towel. Who carries the ball this year, by the way?

10. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

This may be very obvious to those of you who cover/are more familiar with the NFL and its workings that I am. But does Suggs get paid this year since he's out because of a non-football injury?

11. Double Down

Depends on the language in his contract. The Ravens could likely try to without the money, he'd (obviously) fight it, it would probably go to an arbiter. How do they prove he injured it during a basketball game though? He seems to be saying he injured it during conditioning. In all likelihood, the Ravens just pay him.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ha. Isaac Redman is going to get the ball. I think the playoff game in Denver was his only career start, but he did rush for 121 yards on 17 carries in that one. He is no Mendenhall, but he's not bad. The real question is if Dwyer or Clay can step up and become a decent No. 2. I don't see Redman as a guy who can carry the load by himself over an entire season.

I wouldn't put it the way 93Devil did, but I think the Rooneys saw the Steelers' offense the same way you do. That is why Bruce Arians is gone and why focusing heavily on the offensive line was so important for htem.

The Suggs injury is devastating for the Ravens. Part of what made them so tough was having two dominant players up front and he absolutely dominated against the Steelers.

Draft saved Draft deleted