1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tenure-track is hard

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JohnHammond, Aug 19, 2015.

1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If she wants to gripe about the fact that it's ridiculously hard -- how it's almost a lottery, in fact -- to snag a tenure-track humanities job, she's got a point. To bitch that she came up aces only twice ... well, that takes some gumption.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I found her final takeaway kind of bizarre, if true:

"And fourth, if you are a graduate student or an adjunct, Do Not Publish Too Much. One article, maybe two. If you’ve already written a book, keep the manuscript in your desk drawer until you have a tenure-track job. Then pull it out, polish it, and send it to presses."

4. doctorquant

"Don't publish too much" is the academic equivalent of "They say they can't hire me because I'm overqualified" ...

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Is that true? I'd think strong qualifications are a pretty good deal.

6. doctorquant

They are ... when you hear someone say that ("I think I probably published too much") you're hearing a line.

7. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Wow. Such a shame that the only big law firms in existence are in Boston.

8. JohnHammond

Friend's text: "I saw that. I stopped reading when I saw Ph.D. in American studies and that she turned down her only job offer to adjunct."

The author of the blog post is a precious little snowflake who turned down a job offer her first year after receiving a Ph.D. to hold out for something better. Calls academic hiring "absurd" since she is "overqualified" to be an assistant professor. She thinks her work must be that special and that's what should matter, and hiring committees should ignore the part of her CV where she quit two tenure-track jobs after a year or two.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I wonder if she ever taught the guy who won't pay off his student loans.

10. JohnHammond

Can't get a job because she doesn't look like a professor. Also teaches American studies, which the professor above also taught. I swear, it seems most authors of articles about Ph.D.'s not getting jobs seem to be have a connection to American studies.

I Look Like A Professor ...

11. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

She lives in Lincoln, Mass.? That means she can clearly afford to take an adjunct position. Her salary is unnecessary.

Draft saved Draft deleted