1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tension at The Washington Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Speaking as an alt-weekly alum, you couldn't be more accurate.

2. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The fact that a Washington Post reporter who isn't Woodward or Bernstein is known enough to have their name in a headline says a lot about the industry today. We're not the story, etc.

gingerbread likes this.
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

How has the Left let it get to this?

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I hope it went down like this:

“You know what? You're fired. Get your shit out of here. You've got 10 minutes.”

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The definition of 'professionalism' has changed a lot. So have journalists.

And the idea that journalists build a personal online brand was a favorite of the bosses for years. All of whom considered only the clicks. Clickclickclick.

But that meant all the internecine bullshit that used to happen in the newsroom or at The Billy Goat or in the Press Club parking lot or on Michael's altweekly media page moved online, too. Dean Baquet et al learned that lesson the hard way.

Governing 100% of employee conduct on social media is impossible. Rather, bosses have to figure how to harness all that energy to the betterment of the company.

So Sonmez - like Bari Weiss and others at the Times - takes the paper's discontents online. Now what? You can't applaud one and condemn the other.

Does anyone here disagree with the idea that there's a double standard in every newsroom regarding who gets called out for their bullshit and who doesn't? And that some of those differences are ageist or sexist or racist?

Good luck, bosses.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Its been my experience that the loudest of the Twitter crowd don’t actually generate the clicks you’d think they would. Those that follow such types want the drama, they consume the dunks and sick burns, they don’t click links.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Like paywalls, pivots to video, and premium streaming - I give you CNN+ ! - legacy media bosses have been wrong about a lot.

A lot.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'll add this:

a great deal of the tension here is between a leadership generation who came of age without social media and an employee generation who swam in it from the time they were kids.

And activism is one of the things social media do(es) best, so it's an accelerant of and for institutional grievance and discontent.

wicked likes this.
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I would like to think the pendulum is starting to swing back toward quality, but you could argue the web destroyed our civil society and common bonds in the process. What’s happening now with “fake news” is partly the byproduct of 30 years of reduced news coverage and fragmentation of our society.

Let me point to top-40 radio as an example. In the 1960s, WABC or WIP or your local version would play everything. It might have been surrounded by lots of commercials, but there was a shared experience and a top DJ in every town. Nowadays music is so fractured that stations are programming for niches of niches.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Maybe I don't know what professionalism is anymore, but I sure as hell know what it ain't. And when your bosses and your colleagues (emphasis on the plural) are telling you to knock it off and your first reaction is to clap back* on Twitter ... you're neck deep in the "ain't" pool.

*See ... I can be hip!

Dog8Cats, Liut, wicked and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted