1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tension at The Washington Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

And, in some respects, some in the Navy or other Armed Services might have thought or even said the same about Kamikazes in WW2.

So, I get your point, but, Maher had a much greater national megaphone to make a comment like that when people were hurting and thinking of a modern day “Remember Pearl Harbor”.

It’s like free speech. Just because it’s free doesn’t mean you’re free from consequences.

You know, I don’t even watch HBO. Fuck it.

Liut likes this.
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I find it hilarious that Maher is now the hero of some on the right when 20 years ago they wanted to string him up by the balls.

I thought conservatives didn’t believe in second chances. That’s what they said about Bill and Hillary.

I also find it hilarious that a guy who rarely leaves the New York City area, or stays at a first-class hotel wherever he deigns to visit and probably hasn’t flown coach at any point in his life, is considered a man of the people. It’s not like he was some pauper, his dad was a newscaster in New York.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I would love to see a Miller standup show. Is he doing anything now? I know he stopped doing his podcast.

Liut likes this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I know we like to play that card, but fuck it. Since SOMEBODY can be offended at just about anything, and that somebody can work to ruin your life or career because of it, speech isn't really free anymore . . . even if the government allows it. Heck, I'd trust a crappy government to rule on my speech before I'd trust the likes of Felicia Somnez to start fucking with my livelihood.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

People could always offend someone with their speech. The only thing is that speech is now shared with millions instead of your likely sympathetic neighbor. Sixty years ago, 98 percent of the country wouldn’t know about stupid comments like “they’re all rapists” and “send them back home.”

FileNotFound likes this.
  6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

The number reached is still lower than you’d think. Millions (2 million) is less than one percent of the adults in the country (255 million or so).

80-plus percent of the country has no blessed idea who Taylor Lorenz or Felcia Somnez are. Might be even higher.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

98 percent. And I bet I'm low in that estimate.

Draft saved Draft deleted