1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tennis: US Open 2012

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

That was the perfect set of tennis. I felt the crowd was more behind Delpo. Not me and the lady next to me, though. What's really weird for me is going to an event as a fan. I still can't bring myself to cheer.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I wonder about that. Of course, if you get a series of long matches the last one might not end until pretty late and I know the men already hate playing semis and finals back to back.

I know the night women's final started in 2001, when it looked Venus and Serena Williams would dominate for a while and the women's game was better, and more popular, than the men's. It's up against NASCAR on ABC and college football on other networks, so perhaps CBS doesn't take as much of a hit as it might later in the fall.

I've always lobbied to move the entire tournament up a week and play the women's final on Sunday and men's final on Labor Day Monday. I realize that would mess with the entire summer schedule of tournaments, but it might be worth it. For what it's worth, we've actually had the men's final on a Monday for four straight years because of weather.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Which is why they're thinking of putting a retractable roof on Ashe. Problem is, they need over a year to do it.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, that is a big, big stadium. Much bigger than Wimbledon or Rod Laver Arena in Australia. But if they can put a roof on football stadiums, why not?

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Berdych should serve and volley more.

Fourth-set tiebreak. Match has already taken four hours.

6. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

Play suspended due to storms in New York. Men return tomorrow at 11 a.m. on ESPN2, women's final is at 4:30 on CBS, men's final now Monday at 4 p.m. on CBS.
    Why, again, is there no roof on Ashe, or why isn't the men's final now just automatically scheduled for Monday?

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, it's become as predictable as clockwork.

I never liked the idea of playing semis and finals on consecutive days (baring weather delays), which was why I suggested moving the tournament up a week and playing women Friday/Sunday and men Saturday/Labor Day Monday.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Money?

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've heard the ground under the stadium is too swampy to support the added what of a dome/roof.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Interesting thought. Had never heard that one before.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Novak Djokovic beats David Ferrer in four sets, will face Andy Murray in the final on Monday.

Djoker is playing awfully well.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Azarenka gets up off the mat after a first-set beat down and wins the second set. First 3-set women's final since 1995.

Probably the best women's match of 2012. Certainly best one in the later rounds of a Grand Slam.

Draft saved Draft deleted