1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tennis coaches suck

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kingcreole, Apr 17, 2008.

1. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

I'm always amazed this as well ... no intros, just immediately folks believe the worst about us (that we have a vast conspiracy against their team and school) and rip us in front of others ...

had something similar happen the other night at a softball game. a grandma asks me "is there going to be a lot of Nearby High coverage in this week's paper." I tell her, yes there will be, like I try to do every week. Then she rips into me because she's from Other Nearby High and she didn't think we gave enough coverage to Other's sports for that week. When I reminded her that we cover two high schools in the county and that Other has dominated coverage for most of the year (because they are having a pretty good year in most sports), she shot back: "But there wasn't much THIS week." At this point, I smiled and walked away, though I was as close to hitting an old lady as i've ever been...

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I can take criticism, and appreciate constructive criticism when warranted.

I can even listen to outright bitching if someone's not going ballistic.

Being a rude SOB right from the start has repercussions, though, and they can be long-lasting.

Futura, don't you know those kids worked hard THAT week, too? Shame on you.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think you are a little thin skinned, SixToe.

4. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Ace, your name will never appear in one of sixtoe's stories.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'll get over it. I'd have done a story on the jerk and run a really unflattering photo of him.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Waaaa!

Who's your ME?

7. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

The local tennis coach started a little feud with me. Before I got here, the paper listed JV winners. I said no more. I'll put the score in, that's it. Well Mr. I'm A Big Shot Tennis Coach calls in his scores and if he gets anyone else, he gives them the JV winners. Called in an entire JV tournament the other night. One of the clerks may take the winners, but they haven't appeared in the paper yet. He's threatened to go to the publisher over JV tennis. Ahhh, tennis.

8. No JV sport will get any play as long as I'm working at a paper. I don't deal in absolutes very often, but cheerleading and anything less than varsity level athletics will never appear in a section I produce.

9. Back when I was doing preps, I fielded a complaint from a parent whose kid wasn't getting his due in the paper. So from then on, every time the kid fumbled, dropped a pass, got beat on coverage, missed a tackle, it was chronicled.

10. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

years ago i arrived early for a packed HS hoops game. some JV kid scored 53 points and i threw a brief note about it in the bottom of my gamer. my SE removed it and said we're just opening a can of worms if we mention it.

i thought he was wrong but see his point

11. -Scoop-

-Scoop- Member

I've had tennis coaches whine about lack of coverage...but never answer phone calls and never report scores on time. Never ceases to amaze me.

12. The Granny

The Granny Guest

High School Tennis. Enough said.

Draft saved Draft deleted